There are newer employer reviews for MITRE

MITRE is a great place to work!

Current Employee - Information Systems Engineer in McLean, VA
Current Employee - Information Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

Very diverse workforce, emphasis on learning, collaboration, and information sharing.

Cons

Moving away from the FFRDC model and taking on typical "contractor" tasks.

Stick with what got MITRE where it is today - high caliber technical support in an R&D environment.

443 Other Employee Reviews for MITRE (View Most Recent)

MITRE doesn't build systems.

Former Employee - Information Architect in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Information Architect in McLean, VA

I worked at MITRE

Pros

This was the disclaimer that several hiring managers made when I came to an open house in 2004 with some years of systems integration experience on my resume. However, MITRE does develop some sophisticated prototypes for the government. I appreciate my five years of varied planning studies, such as technology evaluations and functional requirements. As an adviser, there are some opportunities to help the government make good decisions based on some level of objectivity. The MITRE campus is a fairly collegial environment. I greatly appreciate MITRE's generous retirement contributions.

Cons

Leadership skills are important, but politics can be problematic, both within MITRE and at government sites. It can be challenging to return to mainstream system integration after spending five years with Microsoft Office. MITRE supports continuing education, but budgets for internal training are limited. The corporation has grown substantially in recent years but still relies largely on personal networking for internal staffing. The employee ranking process can be a painful exercise. Prospective hires should also be aware that MITRE policy strictly prohibits employment references, if they ever need to change jobs.

With the rapidly changing technologies facing the government - and sometimes originating from MITRE - I hope that the corporation maintains the agility it needs to provide differentiated value in these challenging times.

Nothing but good things working at MITRE

Current Employee - Computer Science Intern in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Computer Science Intern in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

As a computer science intern coming in to MITRE with no experience, I didn't really know what to expect. Everything was extremely easy to get into and they put me right into a team of similar-minded people working towards a specific, manageable goal. The team's supervisor was very satisfied with progress and gave us constant feedback (and praise). I always felt completely appreciated for my work and knew what to work on. About 15-20 interns were working in the same room as me, with very few higher-up people (who mostly had shared offices), making it an extremely comfortable work environment. Hours worked were not very strict so long as I put in 40 a week and was there to meet with my team and update progress to managers. Successful work was rewarded with opportunities to keep working for MITRE after the internship was up or in successive summers.

I ended up developing a deliverable almost completely designed by my team which would actually benefit those who needed it. I wasn't put on tasks like debugging old Java code or anything like that. It was very freeform. We were given a task and basically said "Ok, now go do this".

Cons

Managers were not very technical people. This worked to my advantage when they saw large amounts of progress in things like a simple GUI change, but to my disadvantage when some didn't understand how much work a seemingly minor tweak might be. Similarly, other employees vary in skill sets, and you may be working on a programming project with a team only half consisting of programmers.

The red tape in getting access to things you don't have access to can be more than its worth. The computers are locked down and run Windows. The process to apply to mark a computer as unsecure and let you put Linux on it was lengthy and clearly not something they dealt with often. I had to file support tickets to make changes to a web server I didn't have admin access to, which often resulted in back and forths that could easily be resolved with 5 minutes time by the administrator.

I don't really have any. Interns are treated extremely well and most other people at the company seem to be very happy too.

There are newer employer reviews for MITRE