MITRE

www.mitre.org

Far and away the best of several employers.

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) McLean, VA

Pros1. Great colleagues - Incredible wealth of knowledge and experience available from people willing to help.

2. Very satisfying work - Vast variety of projects and types of work with emphasis on best solving the right problem, not the most profitable (been there, done that - there is a difference).

3. Fantastic work/personal balance.

4. Justifiably in Fortune's Top 100 Places to Work for 9 years - Good at lots of stuff that counts.

Cons1. Not for fresh-outs or newbies (unless you have a PhD, want to do research, and chose MITRE over a college) - Get some real-world experience to temper your learning: flame some electronics, choke some computers, and watch a contract grind down in dueling depositions.

2. Yeah, they have the occasional bad manager - The Peter Principle is, after all, a universal principle, and yeah, the lack of effectiveness rubs off on the underlings. Life goes on.

3. Recognition goes to the flashy demo - Not unlike the real world, but here it isn't temper by the facts of did it make money or not.

Advice to Senior ManagementFeedback: From the bottom looking up, it looks like good work on the right path.

Suggestion: Based on the backgrounds and demonstrated skills of various employees observed over 15+ years, resolve the apparent inconsistencies between conditions for hiring a person into a grade level compared with those for promoting a person to the same level. (Yes, I know, this isn't unique to MITRE, and personally, I feel fairly compensated; it isn't just about me; please work to resolve it.)

MITRE is a great place to work!

Information Systems Engineer (Current Employee) McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE

Pros: Very diverse workforce, emphasis on learning, collaboration, and information sharing. Cons: Moving away from the FFRDC model and taking on typical… Advice to Senior Management: Stick with what got MITRE where it is today -… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Company culture is highly variable

Engineer (Current Employee) Bedford, MA

I have been working at MITRE

Pros: As in many other reviews, I have found the company benefits to be very good. The retirement program has continued to provide matching… Cons: Across the whole of the company, the company culture seems to suffer from a multiple personality disorder. Sponsored ratings of the company as a… Advice to Senior Management: The image of senior managment seems to project to employees is empty, faceless emails describing a continuing series of promotions for senior managers. It… More
There are newer reviews on MITRE.

Worked for MITRE? Contribute to the Community!