MITRE

www.mitre.org
  www.mitre.org
There are newer employer reviews for MITRE

MITRE doesn't build systems.

Former Employee - Information Architect in McLean, VA
Former Employee - Information Architect in McLean, VA

I worked at MITRE

Pros

This was the disclaimer that several hiring managers made when I came to an open house in 2004 with some years of systems integration experience on my resume. However, MITRE does develop some sophisticated prototypes for the government. I appreciate my five years of varied planning studies, such as technology evaluations and functional requirements. As an adviser, there are some opportunities to help the government make good decisions based on some level of objectivity. The MITRE campus is a fairly collegial environment. I greatly appreciate MITRE's generous retirement contributions.

Cons

Leadership skills are important, but politics can be problematic, both within MITRE and at government sites. It can be challenging to return to mainstream system integration after spending five years with Microsoft Office. MITRE supports continuing education, but budgets for internal training are limited. The corporation has grown substantially in recent years but still relies largely on personal networking for internal staffing. The employee ranking process can be a painful exercise. Prospective hires should also be aware that MITRE policy strictly prohibits employment references, if they ever need to change jobs.

With the rapidly changing technologies facing the government - and sometimes originating from MITRE - I hope that the corporation maintains the agility it needs to provide differentiated value in these challenging times.

452 Other Employee Reviews for MITRE (View Most Recent)

Company culture is highly variable

Current Employee - Engineer in Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Bedford, MA

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

As in many other reviews, I have found the company benefits to be very good. The retirement program has continued to provide matching even during the current economic downturn. Cost of the healthcare plans have increased somewhat during the years I have been here but we have maintained most of our coverage without a succession of double digit increases year after year after year.

Cons

Across the whole of the company, the company culture seems to suffer from a multiple personality disorder. Sponsored ratings of the company as a place to work are high but some groups do not fit this description at all. The primary culprit is middle management. To be fair, this is not the norm. But the choice by upper-middle and senior management to not get involved allows some individuals to set up fiefdoms where they bully their staff, siphon off the best work and pursue their own personal agendas. The best advice I can give to someone considering working at MITRE is to do everything you can to avoid one of these groups.

The image of senior managment seems to project to employees is empty, faceless emails describing a continuing series of promotions for senior managers. It appears that the glossy brochures promoting work values end up in the trash withing days of being distributed. There is no doubt that technological advances have made communication more efficient but there is no substitute for getting out of your office and talking to people about what could be improved - and I mean at all levels, not just through staff meetings with direct reports. Then, when issues are identified, act rather than write another email.

Nothing but good things working at MITRE

Current Employee - Computer Science Intern in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Computer Science Intern in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

As a computer science intern coming in to MITRE with no experience, I didn't really know what to expect. Everything was extremely easy to get into and they put me right into a team of similar-minded people working towards a specific, manageable goal. The team's supervisor was very satisfied with progress and gave us constant feedback (and praise). I always felt completely appreciated for my work and knew what to work on. About 15-20 interns were working in the same room as me, with very few higher-up people (who mostly had shared offices), making it an extremely comfortable work environment. Hours worked were not very strict so long as I put in 40 a week and was there to meet with my team and update progress to managers. Successful work was rewarded with opportunities to keep working for MITRE after the internship was up or in successive summers.

I ended up developing a deliverable almost completely designed by my team which would actually benefit those who needed it. I wasn't put on tasks like debugging old Java code or anything like that. It was very freeform. We were given a task and basically said "Ok, now go do this".

Cons

Managers were not very technical people. This worked to my advantage when they saw large amounts of progress in things like a simple GUI change, but to my disadvantage when some didn't understand how much work a seemingly minor tweak might be. Similarly, other employees vary in skill sets, and you may be working on a programming project with a team only half consisting of programmers.

The red tape in getting access to things you don't have access to can be more than its worth. The computers are locked down and run Windows. The process to apply to mark a computer as unsecure and let you put Linux on it was lengthy and clearly not something they dealt with often. I had to file support tickets to make changes to a web server I didn't have admin access to, which often resulted in back and forths that could easily be resolved with 5 minutes time by the administrator.

I don't really have any. Interns are treated extremely well and most other people at the company seem to be very happy too.

There are newer employer reviews for MITRE