There are newer employer reviews for MITRE

MITRE doesn't build systems.

Former Employee - Information Architect  in  McLean, VA
Former Employee - Information Architect in McLean, VA

I worked at MITRE

Pros

This was the disclaimer that several hiring managers made when I came to an open house in 2004 with some years of systems integration experience on my resume. However, MITRE does develop some sophisticated prototypes for the government. I appreciate my five years of varied planning studies, such as technology evaluations and functional requirements. As an adviser, there are some opportunities to help the government make good decisions based on some level of objectivity. The MITRE campus is a fairly collegial environment. I greatly appreciate MITRE's generous retirement contributions.

Cons

Leadership skills are important, but politics can be problematic, both within MITRE and at government sites. It can be challenging to return to mainstream system integration after spending five years with Microsoft Office. MITRE supports continuing education, but budgets for internal training are limited. The corporation has grown substantially in recent years but still relies largely on personal networking for internal staffing. The employee ranking process can be a painful exercise. Prospective hires should also be aware that MITRE policy strictly prohibits employment references, if they ever need to change jobs.

With the rapidly changing technologies facing the government - and sometimes originating from MITRE - I hope that the corporation maintains the agility it needs to provide differentiated value in these challenging times.

433 Other Employee Reviews for MITRE (View Most Recent)

MITRE is a great place to work!

Current Employee - Information Systems Engineer  in  McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Information Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

Very diverse workforce, emphasis on learning, collaboration, and information sharing.

Cons

Moving away from the FFRDC model and taking on typical "contractor" tasks.

Stick with what got MITRE where it is today - high caliber technical support in an R&D environment.

Company culture is highly variable

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Bedford, MA

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

As in many other reviews, I have found the company benefits to be very good. The retirement program has continued to provide matching even during the current economic downturn. Cost of the healthcare plans have increased somewhat during the years I have been here but we have maintained most of our coverage without a succession of double digit increases year after year after year.

Cons

Across the whole of the company, the company culture seems to suffer from a multiple personality disorder. Sponsored ratings of the company as a place to work are high but some groups do not fit this description at all. The primary culprit is middle management. To be fair, this is not the norm. But the choice by upper-middle and senior management to not get involved allows some individuals to set up fiefdoms where they bully their staff, siphon off the best work and pursue their own personal agendas. The best advice I can give to someone considering working at MITRE is to do everything you can to avoid one of these groups.

The image of senior managment seems to project to employees is empty, faceless emails describing a continuing series of promotions for senior managers. It appears that the glossy brochures promoting work values end up in the trash withing days of being distributed. There is no doubt that technological advances have made communication more efficient but there is no substitute for getting out of your office and talking to people about what could be improved - and I mean at all levels, not just through staff meetings with direct reports. Then, when issues are identified, act rather than write another email.

There are newer employer reviews for MITRE

Worked for MITRE? Contribute to the Community!