MITRE

Couldn't believe it...

Former Employee - Manager
Former Employee - Manager

I worked at MITRE

Pros

Nice office space. Many people seem friendly. Easy commuter location. Reasonable work hours. Very good CEO. Public interest work. Reputation.

Cons

Worked there over a decade, then stabbed in the back by subordinate who didn't get promoted into the position I filled. Chose not to defend myself and was told by my management the staff's problematic behavior would not be tolerated. Relied on management to handle the situation. Huge mistake, but learned what the mid-level leadership was like (self-focused).

Not a place where leadership cares or truth is supported. No longer a place where the customer comes first. I would not return for any reason.

Top 100 employer only for those who like office politics.

Al is a wonderful leader and very capable, but the politics are very sad. Wish I could have spoken to him. Hope he is successful in transforming the culture. Way too many technicians in bloated leadership positions that can't manage people.

Customer outcomes need to be put first over internal considerations.

474 Other Employee Reviews for MITRE (View Most Recent)

Couldn't be Happier

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

MITRE treats its employees - not contracts - as the number one asset. I constantly feel like I am being nurtured, challenged, and rewarded for my effort. I admire my colleagues and managers. I am most happy that MITRE never compromises its ethics, and always reinforces its position as working in the public interest. I am also thrilled that MITRE has a number of education benefits that I can rely on should I go back to school.

Cons

*Few opportunities to relocate.
    *Compensation is average compared to industry, but low given how much we outclass similar organizations.

One very important improvement I think ought to be made is better education on the topic of FFRDC work. The day or so of classes that new employees get, coupled with a couple hours of training a year, seems to be mismatched with the overall significance of this type of work.

Overall a good place to work

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

-If you can establish a network throughout the company, you will have the opportunity to work on projects in many different fields
    -The MITRE innovation program creates interesting projects, but the selection of new ideas is highly political
    -Good work/life balance
    -Good benefits and comfortable (but not great) pay

Cons

-In order to get promoted, you need to have someone in upper management willing to expend great effort to advocate and push your name through the difficult and non-transparent process
    -Due to its charter, MITRE does not build real products or systems (only prototypes)
    -No bonuses (also due to charter)

Fix the innovation program so that new ideas are selected based on merit and not politics

There are newer employer reviews for MITRE