MITRE

www.mitre.org

Best place I've ever worked.

Senior Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsClose to the mission. Engaged on the top IT-related national challenges in partnership with the top government players. Unlike contractors, who compete for work, the government competes for MITRE support. MITRE puts the public interest and the mission first, along with its people. Sharing and teaming are remarkable. Helping each other is the corporate culture. Numerous nationally known experts. Challenging technical problems. Opportunities to make a difference. Great retirement benefits.

ConsOccasional overconfidence at the top. Sometimes slow to change. Some old-time seniors need to be shuffled along to make way for young blood. In some areas, you have to become a manager to get promoted past the middle ranks. Others areas have rubust, career-long technical promotions with no need to become a manager to move up.

Advice to Senior ManagementFix the senious problem that, in some parts of MITRE, you must become a manager to get promoted past the middle ranks. This is unconscionable in a company whose primary purpose is to provide top technical expertise.

Great Place for a Long Term Employee

I have been working at MITRE

Pros: Dedicated to public service. Because MITRE is not-for profit and has no stockholders, the most effort goes on jobs that are most important to the… Cons: It can be tough to be a newbie, unless you are lucky in having a first-tier manager who is a good mentor. The various constraints imposed… Advice to Senior Management: Make more effort to explain WHY certain decisions are made… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Decline of focus on customers

I have been working at MITRE

Pros: Reputation Freedom from bias Objectivity Good work/life balance Cons: Internal Politics Too internally focused. Easy for careers to stall, especially if… Advice to Senior Management: Start to focus on the "why" we do what we done, not the "what"… More
There are newer reviews on MITRE.

Worked for MITRE? Contribute to the Community!