Great Place for a Long Term Employee

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

Dedicated to public service. Because MITRE is not-for profit and has no stockholders, the most effort goes on jobs that are most important to the Government customers.
Once you have built up a network of friends among your colleagues, you can find out anything and you canget almost anything done.
MITRE is kind to its employees -- not only are the benefits good, but MITRE makes it as easy as possible to get through a personal crisis of health or family.
People who have earned trust are actually trusted.

Cons

It can be tough to be a newbie, unless you are lucky in having a first-tier manager who is a good mentor.
The various constraints imposed by the Government require patience,
Some staff are frustrated because promotion is based on value -- which includes not only technical skill and hard work, but also the ability to have impact (i.e. influence others) and the extent to which your particular skills are in demand.

Make more effort to explain WHY certain decisions are made -- both corporation-wide policy changes, and individual assignments/promotions.

Other Reviews for MITRE

Decline of focus on customers

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

Reputation
    Freedom from bias
    Objectivity
    Good work/life balance

Cons

Internal Politics
    Too internally focused.
    Easy for careers to stall, especially if you are not a friend of Al Grasso.

Start to focus on the "why" we do what we done, not the "what" and "how". Diminish internal focus and process. Restore focus on the customers.

Couldn't believe it...

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at MITRE

Pros

Nice office space. Many people seem friendly. Easy commuter location. Reasonable work hours. Very good CEO. Public interest work. Reputation.

Cons

Worked there over a decade, then stabbed in the back by subordinate who didn't get promoted into the position I filled. Chose not to defend myself and was told by my management the staff's problematic behavior would not be tolerated. Relied on management to handle the situation. Huge mistake, but learned what the mid-level leadership was like (self-focused).

Not a place where leadership cares or truth is supported. No longer a place where the customer comes first. I would not return for any reason.

Top 100 employer only for those who like office politics.

Al is a wonderful leader and very capable, but the politics are very sad. Wish I could have spoken to him. Hope he is successful in transforming the culture. Way too many technicians in bloated leadership positions that can't manage people.

Customer outcomes need to be put first over internal considerations.

There are newer employer reviews for MITRE.

Worked for MITRE? Contribute to the Community!