MITRE

www.mitre.org

Great Place for a Long Term Employee

ProsDedicated to public service. Because MITRE is not-for profit and has no stockholders, the most effort goes on jobs that are most important to the Government customers.
Once you have built up a network of friends among your colleagues, you can find out anything and you canget almost anything done.
MITRE is kind to its employees -- not only are the benefits good, but MITRE makes it as easy as possible to get through a personal crisis of health or family.
People who have earned trust are actually trusted.

ConsIt can be tough to be a newbie, unless you are lucky in having a first-tier manager who is a good mentor.
The various constraints imposed by the Government require patience,
Some staff are frustrated because promotion is based on value -- which includes not only technical skill and hard work, but also the ability to have impact (i.e. influence others) and the extent to which your particular skills are in demand.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake more effort to explain WHY certain decisions are made -- both corporation-wide policy changes, and individual assignments/promotions.

Decline of focus on customers

I have been working at MITRE

Pros: Reputation Freedom from bias Objectivity Good work/life balance Cons: Internal Politics Too internally focused. Easy for careers to stall, especially if… Advice to Senior Management: Start to focus on the "why" we do what we done, not the "what"… More

Couldn't believe it...

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at MITRE

Pros: Nice office space. Many people seem friendly. Easy commuter location. … Cons: Worked there over a decade, then stabbed in the back by subordinate who didn't get promoted into the position I filled. Chose not to… Advice to Senior Management: Al is a wonderful leader and very capable, but the politics are very sad. Wish I could have spoken to him. Hope he… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on MITRE.

Worked for MITRE? Contribute to the Community!