Optimal Work Environment for Most People

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Bedford, MA
Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Bedford, MA

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

MITRE provides an optimal work environment if you're looking for generous benefits and a great work-life balance. The people are very respectful and highly intelligent. Due to its large programs of work and various customers, one could carve out their own path and pursue professional goals fairly easily.

Cons

Due to the great work environment it provides, there is very little turnover. This is wonderful for some, but it also results in a pace could be a bit too calm and stagnant for others.

Advice to Management

There is a common message communicated that MITRE that networking will get you further than superior work. I wouldn't think that this commonly held belief is in the best interest of MITRE on the whole.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Mr. Grasso is a firm believer in MITRE and it's mission but never loses site that MITRE's core value is its employees.

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

I beleive that MITRE values my input and cares about my contributions.

Cons

There is not a lot of growth opportunities for minorities and women. But the company has taken a hard look at these practices and is improving significantly.

Advice to Management

Spend more time talking with our customers at the highest level possible. Our technical managers have great relationships with our customers and upper managemnt should build upon that relationship.

Quality Control Initiatives Lead All Units Into Higher Standard of Public Service

Former Employee - Analyst in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Analyst in McLean, VA

I worked at MITRE

Pros

Real opportunity for work life balance. Little anxiety about being temporarily unassigned. Good feedback on work in pipeline.

Cons

MITRE is not a monolith. It is comprised of the "old MITRE" - the technical centers - and the "new MITRE" - the Center for Enterprise Modernization. These comments and ratings pertain to the "new MITRE". The latter focuses on IT sector piece work, and is run on the commercial model. Unfortunately, few existing or new hires have the skills to compete effectively in that sector, and management knows no better. Deliverables quality does not appear to be relevant in career advancement. Therefore, promotion seekers display behavior which both undermines client work, and corrodes the work environment. Al Grasso appears to understand this, and has taken action to encourage this arm towards greater integration with "old MITRE".

Advice to Management

Job One is understanding and enforcing standards for quality work - including client relationships - and compensating on that basis. Too much internal focus leads to stagnation, regardless of degree of self promotion. I applaud Sr. Management's integration initiatives, and urge them to continue building uniformly high management quality in all business units.