There are newer employer reviews for MITRE

MITRE is a great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Software Systems Engineer in McLean, VA
Current Employee - Senior Software Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

Commitment to training and education
Many different opportunities
Work life balance is the best
Comprehensive benefits

Cons

Promotion is very difficult even if you have done a great job and there is little feedback as to why someone got promoted over someone else, and the fact you have to wait a year in between promotion cycles is very long.

Proactively find your best employees and mentor then so that they do not find incentives to leave.

442 Other Employee Reviews for MITRE (View Most Recent)

It is a pleasure to wake up in the morning and go to work.

Current Employee - Principal Information Systems Engineer in New Carrollton, MD
    Current Employee - Principal Information Systems Engineer in New Carrollton, MD

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

MITRE has flexible work schedule that allows a good work-life balance. However, there are times when client and project requirements demand more than the normal 40 hours. There is a culture of high quality in all the work we produce for the client.

Cons

The client is the Federal government and often I see exciting projects outside of the Federal space that I would like to be involved in.

In some parts of employee evaluation, process is more important than outcome. Management needs to evaluate whether the process is stifling effective relationship with employees.

Amazing work/life balance, fantastic benefits, instant credibility

Current Employee - Econs/Business Analyst, Lead AC4 in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Econs/Business Analyst, Lead AC4 in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

- "guit by association" - The government often immediately thinks I'm an expert without me having to prove anything, simply because I work for the company with all the 20# brains.
    - Work-life balance isn't just lip-service, it's real. Sure we all have to 'surge' from time to time, but if you're regularly working 50-60 hour weeks, something is wrong.
    - Benefits are top-shelf. Retirement and health plans are gold plated.

Cons

- Promotion/career path is not well defined; varies by department/division. Some people get hired and get promoted quickly simply becuase they're in the right department or on the right project.
    - P&D (performance & development) process is burdensome and doesn't really seem to matter in the end.
    - Tip: get hired at a high level (AC4 or AC5) that will be satisfactory for a long time...because promotions are inconsistent.

Promotion process needs greater transparency; I'm happy where I'm at...but I do marvel at some of the promotion rates I see in other departments/divisions. Some are dismal (30+ year AC4s, 5-year AC5s, etc). No consistency.

There are newer employer reviews for MITRE