There are newer employer reviews for MITRE

It is a pleasure to wake up in the morning and go to work.

Current Employee - Principal Information Systems Engineer in New Carrollton, MD
Current Employee - Principal Information Systems Engineer in New Carrollton, MD

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

MITRE has flexible work schedule that allows a good work-life balance. However, there are times when client and project requirements demand more than the normal 40 hours. There is a culture of high quality in all the work we produce for the client.

Cons

The client is the Federal government and often I see exciting projects outside of the Federal space that I would like to be involved in.

In some parts of employee evaluation, process is more important than outcome. Management needs to evaluate whether the process is stifling effective relationship with employees.

442 Other Employee Reviews for MITRE (View Most Recent)

Amazing work/life balance, fantastic benefits, instant credibility

Current Employee - Econs/Business Analyst, Lead AC4 in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Econs/Business Analyst, Lead AC4 in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

- "guit by association" - The government often immediately thinks I'm an expert without me having to prove anything, simply because I work for the company with all the 20# brains.
    - Work-life balance isn't just lip-service, it's real. Sure we all have to 'surge' from time to time, but if you're regularly working 50-60 hour weeks, something is wrong.
    - Benefits are top-shelf. Retirement and health plans are gold plated.

Cons

- Promotion/career path is not well defined; varies by department/division. Some people get hired and get promoted quickly simply becuase they're in the right department or on the right project.
    - P&D (performance & development) process is burdensome and doesn't really seem to matter in the end.
    - Tip: get hired at a high level (AC4 or AC5) that will be satisfactory for a long time...because promotions are inconsistent.

Promotion process needs greater transparency; I'm happy where I'm at...but I do marvel at some of the promotion rates I see in other departments/divisions. Some are dismal (30+ year AC4s, 5-year AC5s, etc). No consistency.

Senior management arrogance palpable

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

Many colleagues are great, respectful, smart, hard working.

Cons

Senior management starts one project then changes direction with little rhyme or reason which is demoralizing to staff. Leaves little room to become excited for new initiatives because teams fear rug will be pulled out from under them. Be consistent. Support your staff. They are actually smarter, more, committed and willing to do fornthe company, country and cause than you think.

There are newer employer reviews for MITRE