What is it really like at MSC after 10 years

Current Employee - Account Executive
Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company provides an excellent training program, but it is very scripted.

Cons

NO growth opportunities once hired, HR department is paranoid and schizophrenic. Open new and additional background checks, subject you to a battery of psychological and skills based testing. Internal recommendations and feedback are ignored.

Advice to Management

Less focus on pleasing Wall Street and get a grip on the reality of the competitive landscape. The answers lie within the Company. Listen to your Customers and own people (particularly at the ground level) their ideas and suggestions are free and worth more than those you are paying for. Throw away the script and can the hokey applause track used in corporate communications.

Other Employee Reviews for MSC Industrial Direct

MSC has lost its focus, edge, identity and department VP's and Directors are the problem.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melville, NY

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Many of the people here are a pleasure to work along side. Pay is ok, however you are expected to be on call 24/7 and when you're on vacation. The CEO, Erik Gershwind, is a genuine person and does care about the business and people; however his leaders do not and the Associates message never makes it to him or is twisted/spun to smooth out any issues if it does.

Cons

Many upper management and department heads are a disaster, they clearly follow the "do as I say and not as I do" method of leadership. VP's and Directors are "engaging" with others in the company and not on a business level. They are invisible and everything positive is because of them and their leadership, yet anything bad is on the "team". Too many leaders take credit for others work/ideas. Growth within the company used to be the norm, now it's practically gone. There is no trust in the leadership in various departments (marketing, sales, product, IT, accounting and HR to name a few). Recent move to Davidson, NC has many people in Melville concerned about the company future here on Long Island. Erik is doing his best to keep the good people who haven't made the relocation, however the good ones are looking and some have already left. It's a ghost town in Melville and only getting worse. I hear there are department leaders reconfiguring the seating plan to get more people together...unfortunately the issue isn't who sits near me, it's the VP's and Directors who are leading us. The next year will be very interesting around here. If I am still around, I hope it's interesting because of the positive changes and not the sound of more people running out the door (myself included).

Advice to Management

Erik, please take a serious look at your leaders in IT, HR, Product, Sales and Marketing...they have all but drained any creativity and entrepreneurial spirit that built the company. They dictate how they want it and if you have any ideas that do not support them, you are a problem. Unfortunately, we are losing right now so their dictated direction is not working. It's no longer fun to come to work everyday.

Associates are Getting Burnt Out

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melville, NY

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are good people, it is a Corporate Environment, and the company is proactive in making Charitable Contributions across the country.

Cons

Associates are expected to work 7 days a week, the building needs to be renovated or at least cleaned, the Cafeteria serves subpar food, and morale is at an all-time low. Associates who have been there a long time feel this is not the same company they used to work for.

Advice to Management

Management should realize that they can only push their employee so far before they start to become unproductive because they are exhausted and burnt out. It's understandable that companies have to be lean in order to be competitive, but they can only go so far before it works against them.