MSC Industrial Direct

www.mscdirect.com
There are newer employer reviews for MSC Industrial Direct

Has been a good company to work for.

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Most associates are friendly and a pleasure to work with.

Cons

Career opportunities and promotions are limited to specific departments.

123 Other Employee Reviews for MSC Industrial Direct (View Most Recent)

Lackluster growth opportunity

Former Employee - Inside Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Associate

I worked at MSC Industrial Direct full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Management at the branch level tends to be non micromanaging which is nice. They will work with you as you need flexibility in your schedule if you have family needs. Job training is decent, but very scripted. Wish I could give more pro's, but really can't come up with more.

Cons

Growth opportunities within the company is abysmal at best. They will continually change up job descriptions in order to prevent people from changing job positions within the company. They have recently made changes that are going to end up hurting their customer relationships and how the customer depends on them to help them with their business. Customers will now be going to their competition (Grainger, Fastenal, etc. ) who will provide the services that MSC once did. If you try to look for growth opportunity within the company but it's not available, they tell you that you can become different levels or grades of the job description that you are now, but fail to ever tell you how to become that. They are way too heavy on the outside sales area and need to get back to the fundamentals of listening to the inside sales staff who are the ones who constantly speak with their customer. Worse part of this company is that I have never in all my years been associated with a company that encourages "tattling" on one another. This company needs to start listening to their "workers in the field" rather than the bean counters and lawyers who make up the rules. Management is always talking about the culture of the company and how we should be obeying it, but will turn around and do exactly what they just told you not to do. Pay at the company is okay, but far below what the hard workers should be paid. This is why the people who will work hard will leave the company and they will be stuck with the ones who find the job to be comfortable and be able to get by.

Start listening to the "peons" in the company. Believe it or not, they are telling you the truth and only really want the best for the company. I worked there for 2 years and during that time watched it slowly deteriorate from a helpful to the customer company to a we just need to save money and work for the shareholders company.

Not too shabby just too easy.

Former Employee - Inventory in Elkhart, IN
    Former Employee - Inventory in Elkhart, IN

I worked at MSC Industrial Direct part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Popsicles, no micromanaging, pretty good pay

Cons

boring, repetitive work, lots of smokers

Outlaw smoking