There are newer employer reviews for MSCI

Some very good people and some very odd decisions

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Boston, MA
Former Employee - Senior Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at MSCI full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Intelligent people at just about every level. High degree of technology though the environment is locked down a bit. Indexing business makes money without trying and is thus the prized group. A sales company disguised as a financial tech company.

Cons

Lot of in-house applications which is ok but lead to random bugs. Tech decisions are all done out of the cadre in London while the implementation is done by a team in Budapest. Service Desk based in Mumbai can often lead to frustration. Hope you're looking for a position with the indexing side, otherwise look out.

At least one local office support person would help a lot, i've seen people be without a computer for 3 days at times. Cost cutting of personnel leads to higher turnover on those thinking they're next.

214 Other Employee Reviews for MSCI (View Most Recent)

Unfocused driving, no accountability and tired, paranoid culture

Current Employee - Client Coverage in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Client Coverage in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at MSCI full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Highly skilled associates

Average to decent salary

Resources from the hybrid of organizations

interesting projects

Cons

Senior management care only about themselves. Local office heads and senior veterans not motivated to really help underlings. Often make it known they despise their role.

in tricky market we know not where we're going. Fragmented data, models and meetings.

Clannish, devisive behavior interfering with client mtgs, conference participation and trust.

Favoritism, etc.

Guidance and accountability seriously lacking in the Coverage, Project Management and Facilities units. Particularly in the New York and SF Bay offices. Good luck getting any emails answered. Or seeing any consistent meetings out of them.

Outsourcing so much that we've chopped off our own feet and it's a challenge to go forward. Especially without vision, communication, trust and fairness.

There's a lot we would like to give, but we've seen others shot down for nicely doing so. What is clear Is that leadership needs to change and vision needs to be clarified. After that, professionalism re-instilled in what used to be a great company. Pay attention to your product formation teams, new sales and upsells. Also to local office management and HR, to help with these areas. We can really hit walls when we need basic questions answered. That wastes even more time and productivity. Also look at who actually has shown up to work through the years instead of working remotely and not findable. Then keep telling us where we're going so we can actually do our jobs.

Stay far far away!!!

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Rockville, MD

I worked at MSCI

Pros

New technology to learn deal with. Hmm having a really hard time comming up with pros for this company after working for them for 8 years.

Cons

No respect from sinior management. Lack of communication. What sinor management decides goes no matter how wrong it is. You are nothing but a number to them. All they care about is the buttom line. I miss the good old days of RMG :(

Communicate and trust your employees and you will find that they will work twice as hard as if you keep yelling and screaming at them as you do now.
    Your quality of service will greatly suffer as you migrate to “Emerging markets” I would suggest against pushing for this.

There are newer employer reviews for MSCI