There are newer employer reviews for MSCI

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I have been working at MSCI

Pros

I work at RMG because of the people, culture, growth (personal & professional) and opportunities. I know I could make more money elsewhere but I'm doing what I love with people I really like. One of the cool things is that RiskMetrics encourages us to focus on our strengths to guide our careers.

Cons

At times, RMG needs more strategic business focus and leadership. While we have grown enormously over our history, I believe we could have achieved even more if we had more focus and organizational clarity.

Advice to Management

At this point (about to be sold to MSCI), the question is somewhat moot. So, for the new management, preserve the important parts of RMG culture as you integrate and change the business.

reviews filtered by

Strong focus on cost cutting and margin expansion. Not so much on career development....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at MSCI

Pros

Great global footprint.
    Smart people in all departments and at all levels.
    Strong strategic focus.
    People who know how to deliver strong results.

Cons

Some very senior managers show no loyalty to staff.
    Some emerging markets offices never receive visits from senior managers.
    Loyalty is not evenly rewarded.
    Promotions at the highest levels are motivated for reasons other than merit-based.

Advice to Management

TREAT employees more decently. TRAIN them more consistently. TRUST them to do their jobs.

Small company environment, with opportunities to excel with hardwork.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at MSCI

Pros

Small company environment, with opportunities to excel with hardwork.

Cons

Most managers work on perception, and that may lead to unfair treatment of employees. Not all groups have similar requirements for promotion or compensation bonuses etc. so that can be demoralising if you are at not in the 'right group, or the more favored projects'.
    Also the whole cost cutting thing is getting too far, the Berkeley office has been shrinking and everyone's expected to almost work on a 24hr cycle to keep up with the offshore offices.

Advice to Management

value the hardwork your employees put in regardless of whether they are in your most favorite projects or not.

There are newer employer reviews for MSCI