There are newer employer reviews for MSCI

A lot of politics as the Barra side is not growing and keep losing clients

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

I worked at MSCI

Pros

It still have a reputation in the industry, a well-known firm

Cons

no career growth opportunity in the company

Advice to Management

Focus on revenue and growth, but not personal agenda

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Opaque, systematic, and creatively stifling

Current Employee - Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at MSCI

Pros

Fair work/life balance at lower levels, though I understand more senior levels have less flexibility. Collegial with fellow analysts, systems that provide for some efficiencies of scale. Opportunity for my work product to have some vast impacts on products.

Cons

Lack of cultural investment in outside-the-box thinking and employee engagement. "Efficiency" as a buzzword for systematic removal of creativity. Highly controlled environment with emphasis on making every peg fit in the round hole. One way communication from management, lack of transparency.

Advice to Management

Especially after the acquisition of RiskMetrics, MSCI strongly underestimated the cultural issues of fusing a creative and less bureaucratic workforce with a systematic, autocratic approach. As such, many legacy employees are left disgruntled, and existing employees are frustrated. Engagement with employees is the only way to effectively understand their value. Ultimately, management would have to either 1.) change the culture at the firm if it values the more creative aspects of its industry, or 2.) remove employees who have cultural differences.

It was one of the largest disappointments ever.

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Berkeley, CA

I worked at MSCI

Pros

Salary and benefits package were pretty good. Co-workers were very helpful and liked to share knowledge.

Cons

Middle to senior management left so much to be desired. Friends were promoted or favorites, instead of those actually working. Often times, junior members on the team were left on their own to figure out things instead of getting explanation or guidance from more senior members.

Advice to Management

I noticed most of the senior management that was in place when I worked there have left. Their job titles and apparent roles had changed quite a bit. I would advise the current management to value their employees and listen to their ideas.