There are newer employer reviews for MSLGROUP

Challenging, but trying its best!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at MSLGROUP full-time for more than a year

Pros

MSL has had its share of issues in the past year but the senior management is really trying to turn it around. Paul is very involved with the NY office and knows most of us by name. Refocusing on things like performance management and keeping office spirits high have helped turn morale around in a few months, and there is no shortage of incredibly talented people here.

Cons

Work life balance is difficult but not impossible. Teams were understaffed for a little while, and even with a full team some of the accounts will keep you in the office late regularly. There was high turnover for a month or so, but things seem to be settled, at least for now.

Stay involved with the junior staff and be transparent about office happenings - we're all adults and can handle it. Don't skirt around the issues the company is facing. Continue with quarterly employee engagement events, since snacks and a glass of wine make any crazy day feel better.

MSLGROUP Response

Aug 5, 2014Director of Corporate Communications and Marketing, North America

We're optimistic too on the future of the company. There are so many great things happening. The recent Town Hall is a good example of how Paul and his management team is committed to being ... More

86 Other Employee Reviews for MSLGROUP (View Most Recent)

Disconnected office, awful IT department, overall confused culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at MSLGROUP full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

HR provides lots of opportunities to connect with colleagues and hosts special events for "holidays" such as National Grilled Cheese Day, etc. Our office is in a good location for commuters and people are generally very friendly and easy to talk to. With smaller teams you have the opportunity to take on bigger projects that other agencies might not hand off to junior staff.

Cons

The San Francisco office got acquired by MSLGROUP for it's technology practice and for many of us, the transition has been painful. We won one very large client about a year ago and since then, it seems that every person in the office works for that client, which is prioritized by management. For the rest of us who don't work with that client, we feel a bit like second class citizens at the office. We are still working for tiny companies who have barely made a dent in the market but want to be on the cover of Forbes. We're pitching meaningless stories with no news and are expected to get great coverage. VPs are so disconnected from PR that they think their ideas are great but they're just living in 1995 (aka Schwartz Communication's glory days). The funny thing is that although we have primarily technology clients in this office, the Publicis IT network is a joke. We regularly deal with spotty email and failed VPN connections.

Top management needs to proactively consider retention strategies rather than act re actively when someone quits because they're so unhappy. There is some good junior talent here that isn't being acknowledged because VPs are making decisions that aren't conducive to a successful PR program. Also, ask employees what kind of clients they want to work with. There are some incredible companies in Silicon Valley and we aren't working with the ones who matter.

Dull and Duller

I worked at MSLGROUP full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some good staff. Some good accounts. Some good laughs.

Cons

Not sure if the leadership - new, old, NA, NY, WHATEVER - knows what they are doing. It's dull. Just look at the NY office and recent reviews. All they do is congratulate themsleves with company wide emails for stuff other firms have done for hyears. It's so ridiculous. They even wrote on a response to a review about the town hall. REally? We want to work on new accounts, do great work and be a part of what's happening. Digital is a joke and thank God i'm gone. Everyone knows digital is a joke yet they keep on pulling away. there is no empathy here. Disorganization rules the day.

Hire new leaders. Win some business or at least make the first round cut. Figure out digital.

There are newer employer reviews for MSLGROUP

Worked for MSLGROUP? Contribute to the Community!