Awesome Internship

Former Employee - Engineering Intern  in  New York, NY
Former Employee - Engineering Intern in New York, NY

I worked at MTA Metro North Railroad as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Rewarding work. I worked as an engineering intern and felt like I had a real effect on the day to day operations of my department. Supervisors were great and the 35 hour work week for interns allows you to still enjoy summer. Good opportunities to transition to full-time employment after college. Overall good company to work with.

Cons

Occasionally have to deal with government bureaucracy but not too much.

Other Reviews for MTA Metro North Railroad

The most frustrating and dysfunctional company I have ever worked for.

Current Employee - Electrician  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Electrician in New York, NY

I have been working at MTA Metro North Railroad full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Satisfactory pay and good benefits. Free MNRR transportation. Steady employment for as long as you like, although this may mean being stuck in the same position, doing the same job, at the same rate of pay, for decades.

Working on trains is actually enjoyable. New trains are being deployed, old ones are being retired, and MNRR actually feels like a modern railroad now.

Cons

Management. Never in my life have I been so frustrated in my efforts to do a good job every day I go to work. When I spend more time walking on eggshells around management's delicate feelings, rather than concentrating on equipment issues, it's a recipe for disaster.

If you have a disdain for office politics, don't bother applying. Facilities at MNRR are akin to fiefdoms, with lords who rule over them with a petty, iron fist. Apparently, MNRR supervisor training advocates talking to employees like they're children, because the disrespect and condescension is so common.

So that leaves the actual job. It is ok, as I enjoy electrical work and enjoy trains. I cannot seem to advance, which is not ok. I am a lot more experienced and educated than my contemporaries, yet I am stymied. I have been passed over for outside hires. This is a common occurrence. For a job that relies on experience working with trains, that is very strange.

Stop being so nit-picky with disciplinary issues and concentrate more on equipment issues. Want an example? Supervisors crowd around the time clock in the morning to dock people's pay if they are not considered properly dressed for work. These same supervisors ignored my pleas about equipment freezing in the extreme cold weather of mid-December 2013. These same supervisors were surprised and perplexed when equipment actually froze!
    People are promoted here based on who they know, not actual job knowledge, and that's nearly all of the problems with the MNRR right now. Case in point: nearly all of MNRR's training department is hired from the outside (mostly from Kawasaki, they build trains) and aren't knowledgeable about railroad rules and operating procedures. How is this possible?

Coach Cleaner

I have been working at MTA Metro North Railroad

Pros

Great benefits and salary is nice

Cons

Management and Employees can be difficult at times. Coach Cleaning is a lot of work

N/A

There are newer employer reviews for MTA Metro North Railroad.

Worked for MTA Metro North Railroad? Contribute to the Community!