There are newer employer reviews for MTD Products

Good company to work for in lawn and garder

Current Employee - Warehouse Supervisor  in  Kitchener, ON (Canada)
Current Employee - Warehouse Supervisor in Kitchener, ON (Canada)

I have been working at MTD Products full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Autonomy and the ability to make quick change highlight my time at MTD. Our teams continually worked to improve processes in order to better deliver results to our customers.

Cons

A US company that shipped all of its jobs back to the US in 2008, leaving only sales, service and distribution jobs here in Canada.

31 Other Employee Reviews for MTD Products (View Most Recent)

Wonderful

I have been working at MTD Products full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great company with true values

Cons

Can't really speak to this subject

Lot of potential, but in the end just ok

I have been working at MTD Products full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great people at all levels of organization, good benefits, good bonus potential on highly profitable years. Great lateral postion change potential - they seem to encourage it rather than promote. Pretty secure workplace, have to really try to get pushed out it seems. I always found a short prayer at the beginning of major meetings comforting and never pushed on anyone - you can participate or not. Yes there is a lot of family working there but the majority are fantastic and outstanding at what they do. Small enough you can make a big difference, but big enough that others take all the credit - I'd rather have the results than the fame anyways.

Cons

Plan on 25-35% under market value salary - an outstanding bonus can make up some good ground but those years are few and far between (only 2 out of last 10 come to mind). Exceptional work is met with more workload and no additional pay. 50-70 hour weeks are the normal, a crazy week is 80+. Mediocrity and always knowing who's opinions to support are met with promotion to a director level and a 5-10% raise. Some years are no raises, some up to 2.5% and told not to tell anyone because "you got the highest for your incredible passion and results" - only to find out that everyone got the same line and increase. Reactionary market approach is the norm. Would be nice to get paid/rewarded for the aforementioned results.

Reward those who contribute so greatly to the bottom line and sacrifice their family to make the company succeed. Less preaching and more action, enable employees with a plan and the tools not just a nebulous four sentence vision. Great leaders need to be great listeners...and great teachers. Don't just talk to me about your compassion, instead show it. Never degrade people publicly, I see this too much - do it privately or they might go on glass door and share what their workplace can really be like.

There are newer employer reviews for MTD Products

Worked for MTD Products? Contribute to the Community!