There are newer employer reviews for MTV Networks

Great place to start off

Former Employee - Intern in Santa Monica, CA
Former Employee - Intern in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

The Santa Monica office was a laid back atmosphere. Dress code is casual and every person I worked with and met were nice and helpful. If I didn't have a career change decision, I would have wanted to spend my entire career at MTV Networks.

Cons

Don't have any complaints except living in the valley the commute was rather far to Santa Monica every day.

Other Employee Reviews for MTV Networks

1. Great Resume builder

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

Pros

Exposure to all the different deparments. Educational internship and a great thing to have on your resume. Friendly, casual environment

Cons

Everyone is so young it looks like there is no long term employees. For production mainly use outside vendors. Wasn;'t able to stay in contact with supervisors.

A good learning experience for low pay

Current Employee - Freelance Copywriter in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Freelance Copywriter in New York, NY

Pros

Loved my co-workers, had supportive boss, learned a lot in a growing field

Cons

Disorganization, low morale, poor management decisions, narrow mindedness about investment in departments that are growing (there's a constant drumbeat of meeting financial goals -- even when the company is in the black and doing well. This leads to hiring freezes and even layoffs in 2011, on the heels of one of the company's best years on record.)

Advice to Management

Survey employees. What do they like about working at MTVN? What are problems specific to their group/division? What would make them feel more motivated to work hard for the company and feel apart of something bigger than their individual responsibilities and duties? One common thread I heard from middle managers was a lack of constructive feedback from their superiors, in addition to conflicting and often vague directives. I heard from a number of managers a feeling of insecurity about what exactly it was their managers wanted from them, which made them feel helpless and unmotivated. It also affected the direction they gave to their subordinates. There's a culture of clock-watching and a sense of powerlessness as a cog in the huge Viacom machine. Employees face layoffs and managers can't hire, with the exception of freelancers, which contributes to a lack of continuity, loyalty and long-term thinking. It's too bad b/c employees are passionate about their subject areas (of expertise and entertainment area) and very creative. Smart people work here, which is one aspect of the company I really appreciate.