There are newer employer reviews for MTV Networks

Corporate yet fun (though not exactly a career boost)

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at MTV Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Loved my coworkers—lots of fun people working there. Small perks here and there helped with morale, and also communal lunches. Rules were clearly laid out, with less bureaucracy than I'd expect from a large company.

Cons

No growth potential, not the best pay. Very little mixing between departments—I had no idea who most of the people on my floor were.

Advice to Management

More perks and activities to make people feel a sense of community (if that's the intention).

Other Employee Reviews for MTV Networks

1. Great Internship at MTV.

Former Intern - Creative Music Integration Intern in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Intern - Creative Music Integration Intern in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at MTV Networks as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun, young, energetic staff with a lot of good ideas. They don't take themselves too seriously, but do take their work very seriously. The work I did was not very "intern-y", and I was given responsibilities and trust in my capabilities.

Cons

Easy to blend in because the company is so large, and you will be forgotten if you do not network and make sure people remember you.

Advice to Management

Continue to make interns feel valued and a useful part of the team.

Lots of opportunities and job choices, great benefits, but internal promotion is lacking

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at MTV Networks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Note, I worked previously at Nickelodeon so this review applies to all of Viacom Digital and not just MTV. - great comprehensive benefits for FT staff and an annual bonus system. - flexible work arrangements ranging from shortened hours/weeks to tele-commuting from overseas - lots of amazing talented people - all the creative, business, and technical resources a huge company has to offer - tons of job options and opportunities to move between brands

Cons

- very difficult to get promoted inside the company. It's common for an employee to "bounce" to another company for a very short time and return to a different Viacom group in order to obtain the desired position(myself included). - the epitome of bureaucratic red tape throughout the entire company - endless internal groups can make navigating overly complex business requirements a nightmare - overall the company lags far behind in technological innovation - from my experience, a very weak and disorganized sales staff - digital salaries are below the industry standard - it's still primarily a TV company with inadequate emphasis placed on digital - bad attitudes and egos are prevalent in every department, particularly MTV. Constantly dealing with the "not my job" and "do as little as possible" attitudes is a challenge.

Advice to Management

- Offer more opportunities for promotion to in-house staff. - Do less projects better. The more brands and sub-brands are added, the more watered down the resources and offerings become. - Shift more resources and executive strategy to digital in order to compete more effectively in the technological realm. - Pay your employees more competitive salaries.