There are newer employer reviews for MTV Networks

Ad Sales Intern

Former Employee - Ad Sales Intern  in  Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Ad Sales Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at MTV Networks as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Super nice people. Everyone is very friendly, and wants you to learn about the industry.

Cons

Have to ask for work a lot.
Work isn't always important.

Create a plan or schedule for the interns instead of relying on employees to throw work on the interns

354 Other Employee Reviews for MTV Networks (View Most Recent)

Great name, but don't be wooed to quickly

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at MTV Networks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A strong name that carried those looking to make moves in the industry to higher pay and titles elsewhere. The laid-back culture on the business side of the company (vs creative) has turned more corporate in recent years, but it's still a young, smart and creative workplace.

Cons

Politics were rampant, work-life balance suffered from time to time and pay left much to be desired even after a few years actively contributing to the firm.

More merit based promotion and L&D would help

four years of long, hard work later...

Current Employee - Marketing Manager  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at MTV Networks full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

*upper management for my dept is very laid back so work life balance is definitely present
    *all networks are run different, but my network is a well oiled machine (which leads to a con) but there are no true surprises from day to day
    *benefits are good-I've never had an issue using any benefit avail. to me
    *you get to work with a lot of fun, creative people

Cons

*salary is horrible (when promoted its flat out depressing)
    *movement or promotions of any kind are few and far between and like my title says, it took me 4 years to reach my latest level of advancement (my own fault for sticking it out that long)
    *as mentioned in pros- my network is a well oiled machine but most days are like ground hogs day- same exact things to do, nothing outside the box
    *upper management= red tape, favoritism and politics but make huge salaries to play like toddlers
    *there is a lot of insecurities amongst employees. for exmaple, my boss comes off like she does not want to let myself or my co-workers do anything on our own for fear of us doing a better job. Unfort. to this day she does not realize that your employees are a reflection of you. If we do good, you do good.
    *lots of repetitive hand holding (in the words of The Other Guys, "I'm a peacock, you gotta let me fly")

read some of these reviews. the common thread amongst all is under paid and no growth. simply pay attention to employees at all levels and try to do what we are all suggestion you do. and try not to take 4 years to do it!

There are newer employer reviews for MTV Networks

Worked for MTV Networks? Contribute to the Community!