MYR Group
www.myrgroup.com Rolling Meadows, IL 1000 to 5000 Employees

Sturgeon Electric is a good place to build a career.

Project Manager (Current Employee)
Denver, CO

I have been working at MYR Group

ProsSturgeon is based on building and maintaining relationships with its customers. Because of this, it is a very satisfying place to work.

Sturgeon tends to be viewed as 'costly' though, in general, follows through with a high level of service and participation in the building process. When this is factored in, Sturgeon ends up with a customer that likely has spent the same or less than the "low bid" with a much better feeling about the product they have received.

Further, Sturgeon tends to specialize in more complex projects like hospitals, water treatment facilities, data centers, research laboratories, etc. This yields a more interesting "day to day" work aspect.

ConsSturgeon, like any organization, has its politics. Opportunity is afforded to anyone showing initiative, which is a good thing. However, the attitude can feel a little too open at times and those who have not shown initiative are sometimes rewarded when they have not produced on multiple occasions. I would not trade this for a gestapo, non-trusting type organization, though.

Also, the jury is still out, but I wonder what becoming a public company (under the MYR Group's ownership) will bring for Sturgeon. I don't trust that most investors understand basic assembly line type companies, let alone construction companies. This could become a downside when, and if, fickle investors want their money in a down-cycle or just when they get "scared".

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to build Sturgeon's business on relationships and, more importantly, do not let those relationships go untended.

Massage glove in one hand and a knife in the other!

Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee)
Henderson, CO

I worked at MYR Group

Pros: They have competent craftsmen that are trained well. Sturgeon takes time to teach their people and is not affraid of promoting the most compitent… Cons: There was not much emphasis on a life work balance. There is also some favoratism that happens when work gets slow. They will… Advice to Senior Management: People get sick so please don't expect them to come to work sick. There are… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on MYR Group.

Worked for MYR Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MYR Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for MYR Group CEO Bill Koertner. All reviews posted anonymously by MYR Group employees.