MacArthur Foundation

www.macfound.org
  www.macfound.org
There are newer employer reviews for MacArthur Foundation

Entire negative environment caused by Jonathan Fanton.

Former Employee - Program Officer in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Program Officer in Chicago, IL

I worked at MacArthur Foundation

Pros

Working to support good causes

Cons

Very poor senior management - loses sight of balance between quality of work product and efficiency of time.

control President's excesses

5 Other Employee Reviews for MacArthur Foundation (View Most Recent)

Amazing Foundation, awesome mission statement - dedication to making the world a better place.

Current Employee - Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at MacArthur Foundation as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

This is the kind of dream job everyone should hope for, working for a foundation that provides world solutions to problems that effect lives of children, mothers, women and developing programs in collaboration with other organizations to make the world a better place

Cons

work-life balance is tough; especially when everyone brings so much caring and dedication to the many causes.

Please continue your work in Africa

As a Temp for several months I gave 100% for very little pay hoping it would make a difference, it didn't.

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at MacArthur Foundation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

MacArthur has incredible staff who are friendly and willing to help you when you need resources. It's one of the best cultures I've ever worked in. There is a lot of self-sufficiency through-out Director and Manager levels but that may be because they aren't willing to hire full-time administrative help. I really enjoyed my position there and was really hoping that they would hire me but I did know their reputation going in.

Cons

MacArthur hires temps and interns who have a shelf life of just a few months. It's a shame because just when you get up to speed they let you go and bring on another temp or intern. Also, I could have been given more crucial work to do. When they interviewed me they were especially interested in my editing skills but they never gave me anything to read or edit. They didn't use most my talents or skillsets; they seemed to be content with my basic administrative skills.

The constant use of temps is not an efficient way to run an organization. You spend months getting a temp up to speed and then you push them out the door to do it all over again.

There are newer employer reviews for MacArthur Foundation