There are newer employer reviews for Macerich

Top heavy, but has potential.

Former Employee - Manager
Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Macerich

Pros

Generally, a positive corporate culture - there are a lot of good people that work there. Excellent benefit package.

Cons

Many of the departments suffer from a top heavy organizational structure, with a staggering number of vice presidents in place shoveling out projects to the property level - most of which have little, if any, apparent relevance other than justifying the existence of their positions. Limited advancement potential for individuals in non revenue generating operational positions, as those departments tend to have a much leaner organizational structure - not to mention a constant battle to justify one's own existence through countless reports and metrics since you're not bringing in money. Often the company as a whole feels like it is managed directly out of whichever management theory book is in vogue at the moment - far too much emphasis on drilling the slogan of the moment into the collective minds of the employees versus genuinely putting into practice. Becomes Dilbert-esque after a while.

Thin the ranks of the meaningless VPs and AVPs.

reviews filtered by
  1. Administrative Assistant

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Macerich full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great people, great benefits, great atmosphere, great property.

Cons

I would recommend they hire more people to balance the workloads more.

Hire Assistant Property Manager.

2. Worse Place I Have Ever Worked

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Macerich

Pros

Good health benefits
    Reputable company
    Work/life balance

Cons

Work environment
    Management
    Compensation on low end

Really take a look at your Managers.. just because they have been there for over 10,15, 20 years... doesn't mean they are the best people for the job. I had the WORST experience in one of the Property Management offices. The PM constantly bashed other managers AND employees.. to ME, a new employee (admin assistant).. I can only imagine what they say to their friends/confidants. The Leasing department wasn't any better (and in some ways worse... not surprised they are having trouble leasing a certain center), nor the Marketing department (maybe the events would get a lot more attendance if the focus was more on marketing, than office gossip). Everyone is so conniving and more focused on drama instead of actually getting work done. It was really so bizarre to me to work in a place where the managers were constantly gossiping in each other's offices, instead of focusing on work. I have never worked for a manager that bashed other managers and employees to their subordinates. Talk about cliques too! There is definitely a hazing process at this location (where the same people have been there for awhile)... and they wonder why people don't stay.... One girl left crying at one point (actually twice.. one of the times, she heard two of her managers talking crap about her). Pay attention to the offices with a HIGH TURNOVER RATE (with certain positions)... there is a reason for that! So glad to be out of there and to work for genuine people again.

There are newer employer reviews for Macerich