There are newer employer reviews for Macerich

Top heavy, but has potential.

Former Employee - Manager
Former Employee - Manager

Pros

Generally, a positive corporate culture - there are a lot of good people that work there. Excellent benefit package.

Cons

Many of the departments suffer from a top heavy organizational structure, with a staggering number of vice presidents in place shoveling out projects to the property level - most of which have little, if any, apparent relevance other than justifying the existence of their positions. Limited advancement potential for individuals in non revenue generating operational positions, as those departments tend to have a much leaner organizational structure - not to mention a constant battle to justify one's own existence through countless reports and metrics since you're not bringing in money. Often the company as a whole feels like it is managed directly out of whichever management theory book is in vogue at the moment - far too much emphasis on drilling the slogan of the moment into the collective minds of the employees versus genuinely putting into practice. Becomes Dilbert-esque after a while.

Advice to Management

Thin the ranks of the meaningless VPs and AVPs.

Other Employee Reviews for Macerich

1. Right by the Water

Former Employee - Accounts Receivable Associate in Wilmington, CA
    Former Employee - Accounts Receivable Associate in Wilmington, CA

I worked at Macerich full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed my time at Macerich due to the managable workload and laid back managerial approach by my superior. The atmosphere was very comfortable and I got along with all of my coworkers especially those I worked directly with. The pay and location were also favorable.

Cons

Upper management was incredibly inept and it felt that a lot of people in top positions got there due to past friendships or family connections. Despite a pleasant atmosphere one did have to look out for the occassional snitch and back stabber. There's one in every office and seemed to be more at Macerich.

Advice to Management

Keep the hard working and dedicated employees while dismissing those lazy people who milk the system and perform poorly.

2. No room to grow

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Macerich full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very relaxed working environment. There are several volunteer opportunities and philanthropic events throughout the year if you like to be involved with the community. Decent healthcare plan.

Cons

Promotion from within the company is not something that happens here. They almost always hire from outside and frown upon encouraging lower level employees wanting to move up.

Advice to Management

Take advantage of the loyal and talented employees you already have working for you and promote from within.