Macfadden

There are newer employer reviews for Macfadden

Decent USAID Institutional Contractor

Current Employee - Information Specialist/Officer in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Information Specialist/Officer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Macfadden full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Macfadden provides decent benefits. The work is often interesting with lots of opportunities to travel under the USAID/OFDA contract and work on a variety of humanitarian responses. The staff at USAID/OFDA are very engaging and friendly people (as an information officer, I have more working contact with USAID/OFDA staff than with staff from Macfadden).

Cons

Disorganized and often unresponsive HR.

For information specialist position: Long hours under the USAID/OFDA contract. Not much forewarning for deployments overseas.

Push back on unreasonable demands from USAID. The current mantra is "please the client" (i.e. USAID), even when staff are burned out, resulting in high turn-over.

Provide overtime compensation across the board for people working under the USAID/OFDA contract.

12 Other Employee Reviews for Macfadden (View Most Recent)

Great place to get started professionally, but those seeking to grow may eventually need to move on to greener pastures.

I worked at Macfadden

Pros

Very client-driven, so very client-dependent job. If your client is awesome, your job can also be awesome. Growing, improving company.

Cons

Don't expect a lot of corporate reach-back. Good if you like being of the client mind, but bad if you have ideas about how to improve services or grow your operating unit.

Focus more on organic growth potential rather than always looking for the big contract wins.

reputable government contractor

I worked at Macfadden

Pros

Energetic atmosphere. They know how to interface successfully with government clients. I would take a position with them in the future if the right position opened up.

Cons

I found very few opportunities for career advancement. I was pigeon-holed as a tech kind of asset and that became the extent of my expected contribution

Work harder to cultivate expectations for growth from your employees... especially the younger ones. Encourage that growth even if it is beyond what that employee consistently does well.

There are newer employer reviews for Macfadden