There are newer employer reviews for Machine Zone

Challenging and rewarding, Machine Zone is a great place to build a career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Machine Zone full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The flat organization makes it very easy for employees to make an impact every day. I love coming to work at a place that is pushing the envelope on game design and WILL be the gold standard of not just mobile gaming, but the game industry in general.

Cons

Being innovative takes hard work and some sacrifice. Working here is not for the timid or those not interested in putting in the time to win.

Try to work on getting the hours to those of a normal company.

reviews filtered by

Very challenging, exciting, collaborative, and passionate.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Machine Zone

Pros

Innovative work environment that continually pushes the envelope to anticipate and deliver what the customer wants and needs. Its very exciting times here with executive management having a very strategic long term goal within this rapidly growing industry.

Cons

This company is not for everyone. Dedicated and passionate people who love video games and working are best suited to thrive in this environment.

Ambitious vision, amazing people, and driven culture - only the best will come!

I have been working at Machine Zone full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Starting off first with the CEO's vision - his history in gaming from coin-op to becoming the first to build a free2play mmo on the ios - he has repeatedly been RIGHT and calling the future. The company was bootstrapped so the cofounders had to turn a profit quickly, so the monetization expertise is very important since no money, no company! The company has a great grasp of free2play but also how to make money, and it is now going to predict and build the future. If you want to work on some fluffy "high-quality" casual game with a bunch of half-motivated people just to ship a title in 3 months, there are plenty of other gamin companies big and small to join.

Second of all - this company has amazing people all around, from the technical gurus to talented artists to expert game designers and even support teams like marketing and the admin functions. Everyone cares deeply about the company, the direction we are going, and the games we are building. What I have noticed is that only the best can work here; if you are not good at your trade, don't think you can BS your way into the company because you will naturally be exposed by your brilliant colleagues. This has happened repeatedly - people who have nice looking resumes don't always end up doing well. Those with real skills, who are genuine and have integrity will succeed. This can be the rocket ship for your career if you put 100% into the job. I feel lucky to have been accepted - this is like a prestigious university where only the good ones can "pass" and be admitted. And the real test starts day one when you join, but it's fun in a challenging and adrenaline-rush way.

Last point - company culture is very unique and special: everyone is driven to make this vision a reality. Most companies just have a list of unrealistic and meaningless bullet points about company values, but here the culture seems to be focused on being the best. Everything we do here is about being THE BEST, and we do not take no for an answer. Not many people or even companies can say that they can embody that kind of attitude everyday - but we do.

Overall I really enjoy working at Machine Zone. The company is growing really fast and every week we have new colleagues to meet, but everyone is brilliant in their own way so it's been great testing my wits each and every day. This is not a place where people come to coast; this is where the smartest and brightest people from all over the world come together to work diligently on solving the most interesting technical challenges in gaming today. We have a lot of fun too - game nights, monthly parties, food and drinks, and department outings each week. This is an ambitious company that knows how to build a successful business, work hard but play harder, and can really boost your career if you can qualify to be part of the team.

Cons

It's not really the hours (the hours tend to be flexible) but it is an intensely focused and driven and real-time environment. We do need to remind ourselves to put things in perspective and not try to be so perfect, since it is easy to get lost in the weeds and become overly critical of our own progress,

So much happens in compressed time at Machine Zone that it feels like drinking from the fire hose all the time. Would be great to have more interaction and hear the CEO, CTO and the rest of the leaders share much more and more often. The space is so interesting and what we do is so groundbreaking that the more we understand, the better job we can do!

There are newer employer reviews for Machine Zone