Machine Zone

www.machinezone.com

Machine Zone has a lot of ambition but requires complete commitment.

Backend Engineer (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsThe game and tech are ambitious and challenging. The people I worked with were knowledgable and competent. The compensation and benefits were excellent. They actually paid the bonuses they promised during the interview. They did at least try to work with me on the work/home balance issues.

ConsThe company is centered around people who are completely committed to the success of the company over anything else. Since so many of them spend so much time at work, the company makes efforts to provide small social opportunities daily and large ones reasonably frequently. This is a great environment, if you want to make friends at work and combine your social and professional lives. If you have a preexisting social or family life that is important to you or you just aren't very social, then the environment can feel isolating instead of inviting, like being a stranger in a large family's home.

They will try to work with you on the work/home balance issues, but the culture is still centered around presence. Management tends to rely on people they can walk up to and have a conversation with; they haven't really embraced chat or teleconferencing. If you cannot be in the office every day when the important decisions are happening, you lose effectiveness very quickly.

Also, operational and development responsibilities tend to fall in the same role for a component. Pretty much every engineer is effectively on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart to split operational and development responsibilities and rotate people through them so that the same people are not expected to be available 100% of the time.

Allow space in the culture for people who want a separate social and professional life. Opting out of a social event should not automatically cause "Why aren't you doing...?" questions from everyone.

Initially really rough around the edges, the company has turned a corner.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Machine Zone full-time for more than a year

Pros: Competitive pay. Amazing benefits. Overstocked kitchen, free lunch every day. Fringe benefits- massage, game night, big company parties, weekly prize wheel with serious prizes. Fairly… Cons: Engineers and artists dislike being locked into roles. Not the best company for artists. CEO openly favors engineers and QA, and… Advice to Senior Management: Most problems the company used to have (excessive crunch time, hostile work environment, etc) have been solved with the release of the current flagship title.… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There Is Only One Speed And It's Go

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Machine Zone full-time for more than a year

Pros: Very well funded and understands free to play and how to obtain user's transactions. They compensate workers very well and are… Cons: Very depressing work environment. Crunch time hasn't ended in over a year… Advice to Senior Management: The people who work for you are not machines. We work to live. Respect them… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Machine Zone.

Worked for Machine Zone? Contribute to the Community!