There are newer employer reviews for Mackin Educational Resources

Do your job well, and you will be rewarded.

Current Employee - Processor (But Now More)  in  Burnsville, MN
Current Employee - Processor (But Now More) in Burnsville, MN

I have been working at Mackin Educational Resources full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very flexible in scheduling to accommodate your schooling or second job hours. Work hard and do it well and you will likely move up to higher positions within the company. I have seen this happen to numerous individuals within the organization despite myself and others having not worked for the company for even a year. The people at Mackin are nice. Treat them respectfully and you will be treated the same. Also, the company is doing very well.

Cons

Some tasks are very monotonous and/or tedious. Monetary compensation merely adequate. You are probably unlikely to find your dream job unless you _love_ books.

I don't really have any complaints, but I know others who would like to be listened to, even if they have not been with the company long. People like to know where they stand.

17 Other Employee Reviews for Mackin Educational Resources (View Most Recent)

It's not a job, it's a paycheck.

Former Employee - Processor  in  Savage, MN
    Former Employee - Processor in Savage, MN

I worked at Mackin Educational Resources

Pros

The hours at Mackin fit well into my existing responsibilities. The workplace is clean, and you are allowed to bring your ipod and listen to it while working.

Cons

Hired as a processer, working three shifts weekly. I was immediately shifted to fill in at the warehouse. No feedback about my job performace in the warehouse.

After two weeks I received training as a processor, but continued to be sent to warehouse for many of my shifts. The only feedback I ever received was when I had not done well enough.

Mackin requires employees to track their own production numbers using codes for various tasks. I was given one code. When I asked about a code for the other steps I had been asked to perform (a code that I saw listed on the front cover of the handbooks given to FULL TIME DAY employees and left at the workstations) I was told there wasn't one. The time taken for that step was to be counted against the entire job. I was let go for "not making numbers", although I have multiple reasons to believe that my numbers were no worse than many other's.

The night shift and seasonal employees are very obviously viewed as 'lightbulb' resources. Use 'em up, replace 'em. The training is quite uneven; I didn't even know about the tracking sheets until I'd worked there for almost a month.

1) The training needs to be a great deal more structured; holding employees accountable for certain numbers while not giving them the tools to track those numbers isn't fair.

2) Positive feedback goes a long way toward making people happier. It doesn't take much, but when all you hear is what you did wrong you don't really feel like giving your best.

3) If the sheets on the front of the notebooks were no longer accurate, they shouldn't have been left in the workspaces. If they only applied to the day shift folks, well then that's just not fair. There WAS a code shown for sizing and finishing an order; tasks that I was told were counted against my mylar numbers.

Looks Can Be Incredibly Deceiving; This "Nice" Family Business Will Suck the Life out of You

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Burnsville, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burnsville, MN

I worked at Mackin Educational Resources

Pros

The building itself is clean and bright. Most employees are pleasant and nice to work with. You start to accrue PTO as soon as you start working. Company is profitable in spite of poor ownership.

Cons

I have heard that there has been a fairly large exodus from the company in the last several months and the owners seem to be confused as to why this is happening. As a former employee, this is not surprising. During my years I found that:

Family-owned company; little chance for advancement.

Owners make decisions, but don't even know what several of their employees are actually doing. When employees have described their job duties to the owner, the owner has flat out said that the employee isn't doing what they actually are doing. That's a tough battle to win.

HR is incredibly weak; no way to voice a valid complaint because they are in the owner's back pocket and anything you say to HR is immediately told to the owners and you are watched even closer.

Most people with four-year degrees and experience net less than $35,000 in salary.

Owners do not have solid business experience and micro-manage just about everything; business decisions that should be made in days take months.

Only a handful of employees are listened to; many internal people with great insight and ideas are immediately discounted because ownership either doesn't value the person's opinion or doesn't have adequate business sense to see the benefit.

There are few written job descriptions; at any given moment, employees can be asked to drop everything and spends hours or days attending to something that has little or nothing to do with their job. There is an attitude that "you don't say no at Mackin" for fear that you will lose your job.

Ownership's idea of "training" is woefully lacking; but if you question the lack of training available or suggest how to improve the training, you are labeled as not being a team player and put on the "watch list".

People who come to Mackin with new and fresh ideas rarely last, as ownership feels threatened because they would like to believe that they are well-versed in their industry and its trends.

It is not unusual to see a co-worker on Friday and then find out through the grapevine on Monday that they have been "laid off". There is never any internal communication; this leads to an extremely paranoid work environment where employees are fearing for their jobs and with good cause.

When new employees start, there is rarely an internal announcement that someone new has started. This makes the new employees uncomfortable as well as those that have been there for years, because no one is certain of who anyone is.

Internal meetings are often used as an arena by ownership and management to bad-mouth employees. Many things discussed at these meetings would be viewed as offensive by most companies and reported to HR, but that doesn't happen at Mackin because people are afraid of losing their jobs.

Think long and hard before applying at Mackin, even for the PT jobs. Unless you are a family member or family friend, you will be treated as an expendable resource. The longer you work here, the deeper you sink into the idea that there is nothing better in this economy. Believe me, even working at a restaurant or home improvement store will bring you more satisfaction than working here.

Sell the company to someone who can actually grow it to its potential and treat the talented employees you have with the respect they deserve and get rid of the dead weight that has neither the intellect or education to make adequate business decisions.

There are newer employer reviews for Mackin Educational Resources

Worked for Mackin Educational Resources? Contribute to the Community!