Macmillan Cancer Support

www.macmillan.org.uk
  www.macmillan.org.uk
There are newer employer reviews for Macmillan Cancer Support

Great to get hands on experience and a real insight into the charity sector- if only they paid their interns!

Current Employee - World's Biggest Coffee Morning Intern
Current Employee - World's Biggest Coffee Morning Intern

I have been working at Macmillan Cancer Support as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great training opportunities- would do anything to help their interns gain knowledge and understanding in a given area
Able to get your hands dirty and do things that you find interesting, my supervisor was very clear that I wasn't there to be the teams admin assistant. This means that I have been able to do anything that I have thought might be useful and use my personal judgement- they are really keen to know my ideas and opinions.
I am left to do things on my own if I feel I can but they are still there to support me if I need

Cons

The IT situation is not ideal, limited training in using the portal, been on the phone to numerous IT technicians to try and help me and they are still unable to resolve my issues
The internship is not paid- I know this is a charity so this is not surprising but it would be nice- I still really enjoy it- it's just not that good for the bank balance
I work from home and meet the team in Coffee shops- it can sometimes be a bit tricky working from home and not being able to pop into your managers office for a chat but this might just be me.

Get the IT sorted

5 Other Employee Reviews for Macmillan Cancer Support (View Most Recent)

Lovely people, not a great working environment

Former Employee - Marketing  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Marketing in London, England (UK)

I worked at Macmillan Cancer Support full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's very sociable, and there's quite a lot of effort made by management to have good internal comms, help people with their learning and development etc

Cons

The office block is overcrowded and uncomfortable to work with - IT is dated. I'm not even going to mention the lift situation!

Great company, just don't work in the IT department

Current Employee - Service Desk Analyst  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Service Desk Analyst in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Macmillan Cancer Support full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fabulous company, great team spirit, very satisfying to know you are helping people affected by cancer. Some great colleagues with a good attitude. Inspirational chief exec.

Cons

Working on the IT ServiceDesk is such a chaotic, demoralising experience. A real lack of standard processes and procedures, which leads to a poor quality of customer service, meaning low level of job satisfaction. We work very hard and try our best, but are thwarted at every turn by not having standards and proper processes. Also, unpleasant cramped, dated, badly-lit offices in London. Queuing for the lifts to a high floor in this busy building can make you late for work.

You have such fantastic people working for you. Please invest in training them, and concentrate on defining and standardising processes and procedures for the ServiceDesk team.

There are newer employer reviews for Macmillan Cancer Support

Worked for Macmillan Cancer Support? Contribute to the Community!