Macquarie Group
www.macquarie.com Sydney, Australia 5000+ Employees

If you're smart, you won't stay long

Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Macquarie Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros- high turnover and thin staffing means many opportunities for advancement, taking on additional responsibilities
- smart, hard-working colleagues
- open-door policy (for some management)
- regular communication from upper-level management

Cons- extensive interview process (and disorganised HR), tends to alienate potentially strong candidates
- compensation/bonuses don't reflect the long hours, dedication and hard work that's expected
- outdated technology/systems, and little (if any) investment planned in this area
- too much politics and bureaucracy (more than most comparable firms on the Street)
- no loyalty or appreciation...yesterday doesn't matter, it's always "what have you done for me today?"
- stress, stress, and more stress (did I mention stress?) - zero work/life balance
- extremely low team morale
- ineffective management (they tend to promote strong team players, rather than those with the actual skillset to be successful managers)
- Sydney management doesn't get the US business model, or how to succeed in the US market, which makes for a very confused, disorganised corporate culture in NY (torn between Aussie and US standards)

Advice to Senior ManagementAdapt from the Aussie business model if you want the US business to succeed. Hire locals who know how to get things done, rather than bringing in staff from Sydney. Give local management more authority/autonomy and trust the local staff you hire. Streamline the interview process and pay in line with the rest of the Street.

A lot of potential, but hard to get anything done!.

Associate Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Macquarie Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Strong background and history. Strong balance sheet. Cons: Very laid back and burocratic. Not prone to take up… Advice to Senior Management: Need to be proactive and agile. Its a great place with lot of potential… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Constant changes which seem for the worse!

Vice-President (Current Employee)

I have been working at Macquarie Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Large corporation with large corporate benefits...vacation, medical, dental, 401K, etc... however, their matching contributions are less than other companies I have worked… Cons: Can conduct themselves a bit ruthlessly. Extreme restrictions and monitoring of all electronic communication. … Advice to Senior Management: Stop setting unrealistic objectives. Level off as a mature… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Macquarie Group.

Worked for Macquarie Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Macquarie Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Macquarie Group CEO Nicholas W. Moore. All reviews posted anonymously by Macquarie Group employees.