There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

Run while you still have time!

Current Employee - Senior Technical Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Senior Technical Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

Salary is ok, it's close to home.

Cons

No work life balance - no working from home, no vacations from November through the end of January, poor communication, bad benefits, people leaving faster than they can replace them, poor conduct by management, lack of vision. It's really a pretty bad place to work. I am actively seeking job opportunities outside the company. they hounds you for donations to their pet charities and they are cheap.

Don't be so cheap, have a clear vision, treat your employees right, allow them to work from home and quit hounding folks to make $700 donations to the United Way!

4879 Other Employee Reviews for Macy's (View Most Recent)

Used to be "OK", now positively awful

Current Employee - PT Retail Sales Associate in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - PT Retail Sales Associate in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

- Staff discount
    - Store hours offer flexibility for those wanting w/e & evening hours

Cons

- AWFUL Management
    - Bullying to get credit card applications, even if your sales goals are always exceeded
    - TERRIBLE new computer scheduling system... everyone is fighting for hours
    - Never any positive comments from management, even after customer compliments have been received in writing.

Hey Managers, wake up and realize that you are losing some very experienced, seasoned and successful sales people due to your complete inability to treat us like human beings. Even when we meet and exceed (by quite a lot, I might add) our sales goals... we are still berated like children for not getting more people to sign up for a Credit Card... even though you have just introduced a ridiculous discount cap of $100 to "entice" new customers.

My Manager particularly (the worst in the store) never has a positive comment to make... even when you receive a very rare customer feedback card with a glowing compliment on it. This person is on a major power trip, and like most of the Floor Managers, "rules" by fear and constant critisism.

This new computer system is a joke! You have full timers fighting for 40 hrs/week, and all permanent part timers are now being treated like floating flex employees. For some reason, you can't get any hours in your own department (we all went from 20 hrs/week average to around 11 hrs/week), but people from all different sections of the store can get hours in your area? That brings in a lot of extra problems, including the fact that you spend half your shift showing these "newbies" how things work... and they have no idea about the product you sell. In the end, it's the customers who suffer. It really does show that Macy's "commitment to customer service" is nothing but another laughable piece of corporate rhetoric.

Over 50% of the employees I have spoken to are currently frantically job hunting, and I, for one, plan on being out of this mess of a company ASAP!

Very pleased with the department manager.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New Castle, DE
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New Castle, DE

I worked at Macy's

Pros

Employee Discounts and promotion potential.

Cons

Employee benefits and working all holidays

Company medical benefits should be offered to employees prior to a six month period.

There are newer employer reviews for Macy's