There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

"Magic" selling may sound interesting

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

The pros would be hours and flexibility. It's easy to handle, you go online if you want to pick up shifts. You can also swap and view you schedule. If you tell the program what your availability is it will work around it. If you need more hours you can also call.

Cons

Where to start... when I was hired I was told there was a rush to start me, but when it came down They dropped the ball. They were in a rush to hire me but had trouble scheduling me for orientation (too many new hires) and after I had completed orientation they barely gave me any hours. It took about a week or two before I actually received a shift. The management was completely inept at not only the hiring process, but training as well.

They didn't even really train me. They kind of just said have at it. If you've worked in retail previously you'll be fine but for those that haven't it's daunting. They expected me to go out there knowing everything; what products we carried (they don't give you a product book to study), where they went (this is particularly unhelpful if you're not familiar with that area of the store), what to do, etc. Most jobs will give you at least one day of training with someone but they didn't do that at Macy's. You were expected to know from day 1. Perhaps they thought the 5 hours of computer training would suffice, but it doesn't.

When I was first hired I was told that everyone is friendly and helpful at Macy's and this seemed to be true. During orientation everyone was nice and cheerful, but when I got to the sales floor that was not the case. Everyone's worried about their sales goal (which is insanely high and I never met one person who met or even exceeded it). Macy's policy is that you're not allowed to hang out by the register ("you must always be walking around 'assisting'") and most people are so used to the concept that an empty register means a closed register that they'll go somewhere else. This also hinders your "sales goal". Hanging around the register is not a bad thing. Most customers look there first when they need something and if you're walking around they have a harder time locating you.

The demand that you open so many credit cards (in this economy no less) is ridiculously high. It was something like 50+ a day for a weekday and close to 150 for a weekend. I hated asking people if "they wanted to open a Macy's account", I felt like I was saying 'please load up on debt'. And most people do not want to open one (and why should they it's easier and private to open online. In store the sales associate has to collect and input their info). Any way the sales associates are so preoccupied with their goals and credit accounts that they would get prison yard on you for registers. Management had scheduled too many people (numerous times) and not everyone could get on a register so it was dog eat dog. I had old ladies shoving me to get sales. It was ridiculous. Most of the time I just stepped back and let them have at each other. I'm wasn't about to shank someone just to sell $20.

"MAGIC" selling is a ridiculous concept as well. I get that Macy's is proud to be so customer oriented, but they have a false perception of most customers. There are those that really do want your help (old ladies for example who come from a different generation), but for the most part people looked like I was inconveniencing them if I asked if they needed something. A common complaint I heard was that sales associates were too "on" the customers. A lot just wanted to be left to shop in peace. Most did not want my help. For instance you're supposed to be sales associate and personal shopper but most people don't want your opinion. They're going to buy what they like, not what a sales associate tells them they should buy. And it also conflicts with Macy's motto that the customer should always be helped. You can't focus on each individual customer, while maintaining all of the other customers.

The job is not physically demanding. You need to be on your feet for up to 7 hours a day, so comfortable shoes are a must. There's not really any heavy lifting involved and clean up is reserved for those in "recovery". Your main goal is the customer and you can't do that if your folding clothes or restocking.

Don't really see the associate discount as a pro to this job. The only way to receive it is through a credit card (yes you have to open one to get your discount!). They also have a prepay card option but it's a hassle to load it. Plus you can only load them at the store, not online.

Better prepare your associates, and stop setting ridiculous demands on them.

4655 Other Employee Reviews for Macy's (View Most Recent)

My experience was not very a good

I worked at Macy's

Pros

employee discount is very generous

Cons

scheduling issues are not dealy with staff levels are below normal for the industry

Treat your emplyee like they are human and life happens

Nice perks, lots of problems

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

-Great discount
    -Awesome managing staff
    -Managers are sincere and understanding
    -Very diverse
    -GLBT friendly
    -Nice rewards such as Macy's money and drawings to win a free meal
    -Recognizes good work done with 'Magic' cards.
    -Nice job for setting your foot in the workplace

Cons

-Information on store products is not taught to team members frequently.
    -Most of the sales team are part timers, and the new scheduling system have people receiving short hours (Min. 3hrs), or not enough shifts.
    -Lacks a customer service area. Every cash register (at our store) has a customer service sign above each register. We get hassled by a lot of customer complaints about things that sales associates can't do anything to fix. Often times you are yelled at by customers.
    -A lot of the staff are uneducated (about workplace tasks and knowledge) and do not follow correct protocol. Such as looking up a Macy's with any form of identification. Or collecting items from a pre-sale without identification or a customer pick-up slip.
    -Not enough people on the floor. Most times you're managing one area by yourself for five hours.
    -The pay isn't that great. Starting wage for new hires is $8/hr. and continues to be until your manager does an annual review on your performance.
    -Recovery is often a major issue in clothing departments. When you're alone, the task keeps you away from getting other things done.
    -Have to open a Macy's Card to get employee discount.
    -Pushed by working inflated sales goals, while also having to stay away from the register, help customers, do recovery and clean (getting a duster and dusting things, vacuuming). Apparently our cleaning company doesn't do that...
    -Holidays aren't fun.

There should be a proper learning system for sales associates on products and behavior in the workplace. There should be an area where a customer can issue a complaint in a polite and decent manner instead of getting heated with an associate who isn't able to take note of such matters.

There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!