There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

Gained experience in the cosmetic sales industry

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Eatontown, NJ
Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Eatontown, NJ

I worked at Macy's

Pros

Good pay
Vacation time and benefits

Cons

Not enough growth opportunity in company

Be more fair towards employees needs and concerns

reviews filtered by

A place to start and leave asap.

Current Employee - Clerical Operation in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Clerical Operation in New York, NY

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

easy to get hired, I cannot think in another reason of why you should work in this place. if you go to school this is a great place to make some money since they have a lot of jobs that can adjust to your schedule.

Cons

Poor salary, disrespectful managers. They don't care about you, they just want to look good for their superiors. This place could be the worst place to spend your life working. There is some managers that will make your life miserable because they don't have a life. They don't even care if you get paid correctly or not. they just want you to work and that's it.

Please hire more respectful managers, people easy to work with. Listen to employees when they have something to say.

an okay place to work temporarily

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

- Flexibility with schedule because it is all online. You can advertise your shifts for others to pick up or request to swap shifts with fellow employees. You can also pick up shifts advertised by others if you want extra hours.
    - Discount is 20%, which is alright, but there are a couple days every few months where there is an additional 10% discount on top of your 20%. There are also some special events in cosmetics and fragrances where you get additional discounts maybe once a year.
    - They try to give praise to their employees by celebrating the top salesperson of the day and the top credit performer of the day.

Cons

- Because the scheduling is done by a computer and not a person, there is often either not enough coverage or too much coverage. This is extremely stressful. It also assigns you very random schedules, it is never the same every week.
    - The hours are awful because it's retail. Lots of weekends and nights.
    - I get paid minimum wage and no commission. There is so much focus on selling selling selling and providing excellent customer service but there is no incentive whatsoever to do so. They can't fire you for not making your sales goal, so what is the point of really trying? I could work at Kohls, or Costco, or anywhere where I wouldn't have so much pressure to provide customer service or even have to leave the register and be paid EXACTLY the same.
    - They put way too much focus and pressure on getting credit, again, without much incentive. It is much easier in certain areas to get credit and much harder in other areas. You only get a dollar for your 1st and 2nd credit attempts and 3 dollars for your third. You get 2 dollars per attempt after that for the rest of the week, and then it starts over the next week. My friend who works at Nordstrom told me they get 10 dollars per credit.
    - The "top salesperson" of the day is not reflected very well. They rank it by how much of your sales goal you reached, but every person has a different sales goal, and it is much easier to get 200% of your goal if your goal is only $50 as opposed to $1000. It doesn't really make any sense.
    - Training is AWFUL. It entails (at least) 6 hours of sitting in a room on a computer by yourself, with a fake register that is supposed to teach you everything you need to know. Then there is a 4 hour "MAGIC" class that basically only talks about how to get credit apps. There is absolutely no training on the products you are selling. No shadowing on the floor. They throw you out there after your POS training and expect you to do well and know what you are doing. Customers can get very frustrated with you when you don't know what you are selling or what you are doing right away, even when you explain that it's your first day (or your first week...).
    - Customers can be very hard to deal with because they expect the millions of coupons they get in the mail to work on everything in the store, but they exclude A LOT. They get upset with you when they don't work and a lot of times will ask you if you can just "make them work". Which you can't. Obviously.
    - There are sales literally every weekend and it is extremely annoying. On non sale days, there is no point to sell anything because it is going to go on sale in 2-3 days. And honestly, nobody is going to pay full price for anything. Customers that shop at Macy's are there to get a good deal, and they don't want to pay the "full" price. Which isn't even the regular price...the items are on sale more often than not.

I feel like I could go on forever. This is my least favorite job I have ever had. The only thing I have stayed for is the few friends I have made while working here and the discount.

There are newer employer reviews for Macy's