Macy's

www.macysinc.com
  www.macysinc.com
There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

Macy's West was not my favorite place that I have worked.

Former Employee - Director
Former Employee - Director

I worked at Macy's

Pros

Macy's is recognized as a national retail leader. I worked the for different divisions over 13 years and some divisions were better than others.

Cons

Macy's West tends to work in "silos". Communication was difficult and there didn't seem to be much teamwork invovled. It was an "every man for himself" type of environment.

5288 Other Employee Reviews for Macy's (View Most Recent)

love my job

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

working with diverse, fun, people

Cons

Compensation is not adequate for the associates and lower level executives.

spread the profits to the employees - announcing the profits were the highest ever and then giving out raises that were lower than the previous year was not ok. Telling some employees that their salaries are maxed out, but the boards salaries are not maxed out is not ok.

Decent paying retail job

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

-20% discount
    -mostly friendly staff
    -flexible hours
    -time flies quickly because you constantly have something to do
    -can easily move to a different dept if you want to try something different

Cons

-scheduling for part time flex is unpredictable and these people are often left with 3-5 hour shifts during the evening hours
    -department gets very busy and it can be overwhelming addressing all customer needs
    -associates do not always put shoe boxes back into stocking area which makes the dept look disorganized and prevents other customers from trying on and buying shoes that have been left out because they won't show up as available in store's inventory
    -draw vs commission pay creates added stress and pressure
    -commission structure and sales goals create some level of tension among dept associates because they are competing for sales
    -job can be boring (like any retail job)
    -pressure to open macy's credit card accounts
    -company policy requires a lunch break after working 4.5 hours which is unnecessary and limits associate sale potential
    -associates frequently work during break to meet sales goals and earn higher commission

Don't overstaff in departments where associates have a draw to cover before earning commission. This adds unnecessary stress to a rather simple job and can create tension and hostility among the sales associates.

There are newer employer reviews for Macy's