Macy's
2.9 of 5 3,592 reviews
www.macysinc.com Cincinnati, OH 5000+ Employees

The worst that bureaucracy has to offer

District Planner (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at Macy's

ProsSome colleagues such as store managers and district vice presidents are the smartest retailers in the country. The workload is very reasonable given the level of pay.

ConsThe culture is one of bitter lifers, lying, backstabbing, ass kissing, CYA, and throwing everyone under the bus. The so called training programs are a joke. You will never get ahead in executive ranks if you were not born in this country. Promotions are based on who you know and not what you know.

Advice to Senior ManagementEveryone knows that half of the private label initiatives are a joke, but no one dares to challenge the crap that we're forced to sell. You grew last year because the economy improved, not because you had a clue what customers wanted. Until there is true leadership that dares to challenge entrenched bureaucracy, Macy's will just be another bureaucratic nightmare that beats the creative spark out of every employee.

Great place to gain sales experience

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Simi Valley, CA

I worked at Macy's

Pros: -Always on the move and time can go by fast when there is… Cons: -Dealing with customers who return merchandise and have a complex transaction -Pressure to… Advice to Senior Management: It is always good to motivate the associates in a… More

Creating a culture and owning sales

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Bellevue, WA

I worked at Macy's

Pros: You feel that you own a piece of the business. A personal responsibility for sales is achieved through the management coaching/teaching M anagement is very… Cons: Numbers driven. weekly meetings for everyone, even cashiers, and regular trainings.boring but purposeful. High… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Macy's.

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Macy's reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Macy's CEO Terry J. Lundgren. All reviews posted anonymously by Macy's employees.