There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

Macy's needs to re-think their organizational structure

Current Employee - Loss Prevention Manager
Current Employee - Loss Prevention Manager

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

Training is exceptional, Great company to get your feet wet and develop skills in the loss prevention side. They are great recognition programs for employee level positions (lack in management recognition). Information is available to all on the company website for all departments and tools are given on these websites for use (if you know how to navigate your way through the website).

Cons

Lack of moving up, unfairness with pay. Hit a glass ceiling at middle management, lack of communication between stores and corp offices. Low morale within the stores and departments. There is lack of ownership among store management. Work/life balance is hard, a lot is expected with little or no compensation or appreciation.

If there are not immediate advancement opportunities for management, I would suggest about every 3-5 years moving or making changes in lateral moves to keep the position or manager from becoming stagnant. This will keep your talented people happy, the fire/energy going which in turns produces better results until opportunities open. This will also retain your talented people to stay on board.

4879 Other Employee Reviews for Macy's (View Most Recent)

Good Luck! Larger Macy's stores seem to have a higher morale and supervisor competence than the smaller ones.

Former Employee - Counter Manager in Daly City, CA
    Former Employee - Counter Manager in Daly City, CA

I worked at Macy's

Pros

Employee discounts, especially when items are already on sale!

Cons

Depending on your luck, the management I had to deal with was non-responsive and underqualified. There is always a push for opening credit cards. As a consumer, I LOVE Macys, but as an employee at the particular store I was at, the comraderie and support was lacking, as well as supervision. People would just leave on breaks for hours and come back to clock out.

If an employee comes to you with concerns, ADDRESS them and don't ignore them. If you're not sure how to address it, at the very least acknowledge the concern and ask for help.

Decent job for a daylight full-time bored doctor's wife who loves the discount on their overpriced merchandise.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Altoona, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Altoona, PA

I worked at Macy's

Pros

Flexible hours and decent discount. I worked there part-time while attending college and the ability to schedule hours around my college schedule was beneficial.

Cons

Disrespectful management, relatively low morale, and the difficulty in breaking out of the "floater " status as they call it. If you get a part-time job there, you're constantly (for several months at least) just shifted around from department to department. The downside to this is that besides knowing how to work the register (which is really the only thing you learn there), you feel like it's your first day everyday there because you're always in a new dept. with new employees and customers and merchandise. The pay is also low and they expect you to sell so many credit cards per month.

Assign your part-timers to one dept. only.

There are newer employer reviews for Macy's