There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

Good learning experience, dealing with politics and competing personalities

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in New York, NY
Former Employee - Marketing Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Macy's full-time

Pros

Constant change, opportunity to work on multiple projects and seasons at once. Good team dynamics if have the right fit.

Cons

Systems are old fashioned, lots of red tape, hard to gain traction when shifting priorities are unclear

Advice to Management

focus on career development and strong team support

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

I wish I would have known before accepting employment here...

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Somewhat good employee discounts- 20% off clothing
    Schedule system- I like that we can choose whether to pick up available hours

Cons

-Little to no hours- You are only scheduled up to 20 hrs, and as little as 6 hrs a week and there are hardly any of them to pick up.
    -Inconsistent discounts - usually WAY less than 20% in other departments
    -Rude management- Management staff will talk down on you because they believe that they know just about everything when they don't. I cannot tell you how many times I've felt like less than a person because the management staff talks down to me, their tone of voice is belittling. At the end of the day, the only thing they are concerned with are 2 things: If you made your sales goal, and if you got your credits.
    -Little to no direction- Some days your in your area alone, even on crowded sale days. Then cusomters complain that your the only person there and the line is long.

Advice to Management

Value your sales associates, treat them like people instead of machines.

2. Cosmetics

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Made $14 an hour plus commission in under a year. (also recieved TONS of free skin care & other incentives). SF Union Square location is a Union job-some love this, I didn't. Made tons of friends which made for a fun environment with good music.

Cons

Union dues. Must be cut out for job that is very cut throat. Daily sales goals, counter goals, & credit card goals to meet. Must meet sales goals without stepping on co-workers toes because everyone can turn on you & c-block you from making any sales. Must have tough skin. Some of the practices & values behind this company are also a bit shocking. Hard to spend money there when you know what they're all about.

Advice to Management

Managers are under a lot of stress & it trickles down.