There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

Great!

Current Intern - Management Training Intern in Pleasanton, CA
Current Intern - Management Training Intern in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Macy's as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

People, engaging workday, leadership, immersion into various areas of business.

Cons

Long hours, not intellectually stimulating.

Advice to Management

Create more opportunities for interns to work with different levels of management.

reviews filtered by
  1. Macy's Cosmetics Sales

Former Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager in Fort Collins, CO
    Former Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at Macy's full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The daily meetings to encourage and create a stronger team atmosphere are positive. Their goal to provide great customer service is baked up with training and encouragement. They stress the importance of not discriminating within the team or with customers. It's a very large company so benefits are affordable. Each department has a manager to which you directly report to, but there are also store managers and others to go to if you need them. They resolve to keep things amicable and to make the customer happy. If you have problems, you can discretely contact HR outside of your store to handle the situation.

Cons

Being a large company is both a pro & a con. It's very hard on your body to stand for such long periods of time on hard flooring. The pay is low for Counter Managers and even lower for Sales Associates. In Cosmetics a Sales Associate earns 2% commission and Counter Managers earn 3%. Pay will be between $7 - $11 an hour depending on position. Holidays are exhausting and you're expected to work. You're also expected to sign up people for store credit cards and could lose your job if you don't meet weekly quota. Quota depends on hours. Full time is 30 hours per week, so in that case you're expected to open 2-3 new accounts per week and people don't want the cards for a multitude of reasons. Coupons have way too many exclusions. They shouldn't even waste money on creating them.

Advice to Management

Quit wasting money on coupons. There are far too many exclusions and associates have to spend too much time explaining that they won't work for some reason or another to unhappy customers. Drop the credit card push. Credit cards are not good for people. Maybe for the company, but consumers know that having credit cards is not necessary for good credit and ends up costing them money. Up the commission percentage and give more money for loyalties and even commission or money for gift cards.

2. Not bad for temporary retail position.

Former Employee - Macy's Seasonal Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Macy's Seasonal Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Pay was competitive, above minimum wage. There are decent benefits for seasonal hires, and of course employee discounts. The hours are flexible, especially for students. My manager worked around my school schedule and allowed me to choose my hours. She takes requests and consideration of all employees. On occasion, the company would have employee appreciation meals. Break rooms are tidy and okay, well-spaced. Breaks and lunch breaks tend to be flexible.

Cons

Management can be hot and cold, sometimes I am treated indifferently and then sometimes I treated with friendliness. It is hard to say if the work environment is good because of this, I cannot really say that I liked being ignored by my manager although there are times where she is extremely friendly. Near the end of the seasonal term, the ornaments/Trim-A-Home department had almost no tasks left. We were put into different departments, but it did not work out, as we only became more crowded with not enough tasks to go around.

Advice to Management

I kind of wished that I had more guidance in what my duties were the first few weeks, as I had mostly groped around in the dark. I was being yelled at indirectly mainly because I was not briefed about certain employee practices that the others at the time were also doing.

There are newer employer reviews for Macy's