Macy's

www.macysinc.com

"America's Department Store" - Good place to build a retail leadership career but takes stamina.

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsUnder good senior store leadership, one has the potential to build a retail leadership career. However, it takes stamina and solid organization skills as there is A LOT going on under one roof of a Macy's Department Store. It is easy for one to get lost or engulfed and become overwhelmed if you are not skilled at balancing priorities. Overall, a good place to get some solid experience and grow within the organization if you're open to it.

ConsThe quality of work/life balance can be a struggle. There are MANY, MANY balls to juggle in the air at Macy's as the promotional calendar is always packed which makes it difficult to take vacations and other time off when it's compatible with family or friends who work outside of the retail industry. Stores are constantly in pre-sale mode for sales, constantly in some sort of an event in which you have to meet goals for ticket sales, donations for charities OR prepping for the "One Day Sale" which is really two days every month. There are constant visits, conference calls, and meetings even while having to balance all of the above. Overall, being a leader at Macy's takes a lot of organization, ability to prioritize and motivate low wage employees to accomplish a lot. Sales plans are extremely aggressive and you do not qualify for a bonus unless the entire store AND company makes its annual sales and profit plan - even if you work your butt off and achieve all sales plans for your area of responsibility - you will not get a bonus unless the total store and company makes it.

Advice to Senior ManagementSales plans are often extremely aggressive over previous years results. There are often too many "other things" to balance that can easily overwhelm the store teams. Too many events back to back to back such as Reading is Fundamental to United Way to March of Dimes to Shop for a Cause to Thanks for Sharing....all in combination with "Magic" classes, orientations, deep dive visits preparation, on and on and on and on....

Macys of St.Peters

Retail Sales Associate, Part Time (Current Employee) Saint Peters, MO

I have been working at Macy's part-time for more than a year

Pros: Get to schedule, Pick up or change shifts through system. Cons: Never get promoted or raise, been there over a year Advice to Senior Management: Promote from with in , instead of from other companies. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

I love everything about working at Macy's.

Operations Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

I have been working at Macy's full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Great advancement opportunities and great experience! Cons: Retail schedule, but half weekend days off will work! Advice to Senior Management: Keep it up!!! Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Macy's.

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!