Macy's

www.macysinc.com
  www.macysinc.com
There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

Not too positive how I feel about this job

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in New York, NY
Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in New York, NY

I have been working at Macy's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working in cosmetics, I meet some very nice people. Both coworkers and clients. I love working one on one with cosmetics and helping clients find exactly what they are looking for; and what makeup/skincare best suits them. It makes them happy. I LOVE the line of cosmetics that I work for. Employee discount and free products are great. I really like My Schedule Plus, and I like the attendance points system. It really allows you to customize your schedule to fit your lifestyle (besides weekends, on weekends you belong to Macy's); and if you build up enough points if you have to call out one day they can't really yell at you for it since you have built up your points and have enough.

Cons

The pressure of making your sales goal each shift is tremendous, and they will not take into consideration if the store is completely dead or if your sales goal for the day is way too high. I can truthfully say that I would absolutely love this job if there were no sales goals or threat to lose my job if I don't make my goals. You can only get people to buy so much in this economy. I work part-time nights at a very unpopular counter. I can only do so much to get clients to buy. I make the phone calls, pull people from the aisles, try to add on products to a sale; but at the same time I do not want to sound like a pushy sales person, but a helpful beauty advisor. Macy's should admire that, if they want to keep customers. My manager is always on me about my sales goal, and it is making my job so stressful lately. There is also no excuses for not making sales goals, according to management. I could get fired at my yearly review for not making my sales goal. Even though my clients love me, keep on coming back, I am beating last years' numbers, I actually know how to do makeup unlike many others who they hire, I actually care about my clients and the atmosphere that I provide at my counter, but none of that matters to them if the goals aren't met.

Recognize the good work that your associates do. Just because someone isn't making their goal every so often, doesn't mean they aren't trying and it doesn't mean they aren't helping customers throughout their shift. Understand that we can only do so much.

5126 Other Employee Reviews for Macy's (View Most Recent)

Manager

Former Employee - Manager in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Manager in Columbus, OH

I worked at Macy's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

At this job I worked with friendly people and enjoyed the variety of hours. I am not a morning person so I preferred the closing shift. This was a great experience managing people.I enjoyed helping friendly customers.

Cons

Some customers can be hard to deal with. On slower days it can get boring. On busy days the amount of go back merchandise can be overwhlming.

Overall this was a good job.

Great company, Not the best location

Former Employee - Sales Associate In Macy's in Monterey, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate In Macy's in Monterey, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Payday on friday, great co-workers, many great customers. The hours were pretty consistent and I felt that I had a good time working with others.

Cons

Demographically disproportionate to the customer base, The merchandising was catering to the wealthy elderly citizens of the community and not really anyone else. There wasn't anything decent for a young adult that felt good or looked good on. The management was very disorganized and unfair to its employees compared to what I had heard about other stores.

With the amount of dedication people showed to their jobs, I feel that a little more leniancy needed to be given during times that weren't as busy so that people could have their vacation requests handled. I think that the hours were decent but some who needed more or less weren't always represented or acknowledged.

There are newer employer reviews for Macy's