Macy's

www.macysinc.com
  www.macysinc.com
There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

Not too positive how I feel about this job

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in New York, NY
Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in New York, NY

I have been working at Macy's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working in cosmetics, I meet some very nice people. Both coworkers and clients. I love working one on one with cosmetics and helping clients find exactly what they are looking for; and what makeup/skincare best suits them. It makes them happy. I LOVE the line of cosmetics that I work for. Employee discount and free products are great. I really like My Schedule Plus, and I like the attendance points system. It really allows you to customize your schedule to fit your lifestyle (besides weekends, on weekends you belong to Macy's); and if you build up enough points if you have to call out one day they can't really yell at you for it since you have built up your points and have enough.

Cons

The pressure of making your sales goal each shift is tremendous, and they will not take into consideration if the store is completely dead or if your sales goal for the day is way too high. I can truthfully say that I would absolutely love this job if there were no sales goals or threat to lose my job if I don't make my goals. You can only get people to buy so much in this economy. I work part-time nights at a very unpopular counter. I can only do so much to get clients to buy. I make the phone calls, pull people from the aisles, try to add on products to a sale; but at the same time I do not want to sound like a pushy sales person, but a helpful beauty advisor. Macy's should admire that, if they want to keep customers. My manager is always on me about my sales goal, and it is making my job so stressful lately. There is also no excuses for not making sales goals, according to management. I could get fired at my yearly review for not making my sales goal. Even though my clients love me, keep on coming back, I am beating last years' numbers, I actually know how to do makeup unlike many others who they hire, I actually care about my clients and the atmosphere that I provide at my counter, but none of that matters to them if the goals aren't met.

Recognize the good work that your associates do. Just because someone isn't making their goal every so often, doesn't mean they aren't trying and it doesn't mean they aren't helping customers throughout their shift. Understand that we can only do so much.

5276 Other Employee Reviews for Macy's (View Most Recent)

Magic of Macys

Former Employee - Cosmetics Flex Team in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - Cosmetics Flex Team in Tacoma, WA

I worked at Macy's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I worked in a cosmetics section with mostly really nice people! I got $10 an hr plus commission which was awesome! Macys has a great professional atmosphere, and they take care to make sure everyone gets breaks, plus you receive 20% anything in the store, and twice a year they have a special discount to employees at 40% off.

Cons

There is a huge amount of pressure to sell macys cards, and i didnt enjoy that aspect. There were also hardly any hours available for oncalls and it was a fighting game to see who could pick up shifts the fastest. There was also dealing with other associates "stealing a sale" or "sharking" especially around busy times.

Sales Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Macy's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You can "pick up" additional hours if you would like more hours than assigned. This is great for part time associates with flexibility.
    20% employee discount which can be used with coupons.

Cons

Not aware of the sales in advance, so customers are asking you questions you don't know how to answer quickly. This can be a bit frustrating. Signs for sales do not always reflect in the computer, so you are running back and forth to various areas to verify the information as there aren't people on the floor with walkie talkies. The only way to receive the 20% employee discount is by having a credit card or a pre-paid card. You pay full price for items at check out and then discount is reflected on your statement. So at the end of the day. Macy makes money off your pre-paid card in the form of interest and off your revolving charge card in the form of finance charges and fees. You are not given a pre-paid card if you owe them money. You will not receive and employee discount if you do. At the end of the day, there is really no discount, because it can be eaten up by fees if you don't do a lot of shopping. There is $2.00 monthly card fee if you have no balance.

Can't tell you what you all ready know, you just choose not to listen unless it benefits your bottom line.

There are newer employer reviews for Macy's