Macy's
2.9 of 5 4,181 reviews
www.macysinc.com Cincinnati, OH 5000+ Employees

Not too positive how I feel about this job

Beauty Advisor (Current Employee)
New York, NY

ProsWorking in cosmetics, I meet some very nice people. Both coworkers and clients. I love working one on one with cosmetics and helping clients find exactly what they are looking for; and what makeup/skincare best suits them. It makes them happy. I LOVE the line of cosmetics that I work for. Employee discount and free products are great. I really like My Schedule Plus, and I like the attendance points system. It really allows you to customize your schedule to fit your lifestyle (besides weekends, on weekends you belong to Macy's); and if you build up enough points if you have to call out one day they can't really yell at you for it since you have built up your points and have enough.

ConsThe pressure of making your sales goal each shift is tremendous, and they will not take into consideration if the store is completely dead or if your sales goal for the day is way too high. I can truthfully say that I would absolutely love this job if there were no sales goals or threat to lose my job if I don't make my goals. You can only get people to buy so much in this economy. I work part-time nights at a very unpopular counter. I can only do so much to get clients to buy. I make the phone calls, pull people from the aisles, try to add on products to a sale; but at the same time I do not want to sound like a pushy sales person, but a helpful beauty advisor. Macy's should admire that, if they want to keep customers. My manager is always on me about my sales goal, and it is making my job so stressful lately. There is also no excuses for not making sales goals, according to management. I could get fired at my yearly review for not making my sales goal. Even though my clients love me, keep on coming back, I am beating last years' numbers, I actually know how to do makeup unlike many others who they hire, I actually care about my clients and the atmosphere that I provide at my counter, but none of that matters to them if the goals aren't met.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize the good work that your associates do. Just because someone isn't making their goal every so often, doesn't mean they aren't trying and it doesn't mean they aren't helping customers throughout their shift. Understand that we can only do so much.

Macy's Makeup Artist

Makeup Artist (Former Employee)
    Novi, MI

I worked at Macy's part-time for more than a year

Pros: Flex associates get to pick and choose their own schedule Cons: High pressure to open credit applications Advice to Senior Management: Set realistic goals for your employees Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Not a bad place

Sales (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

I have been working at Macy's part-time for less than a year

Pros: Flexible schedule, many departments to work in Cons: Hard to swap shifts, realy depends on boss. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Macy's.

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Macy's reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Macy's CEO Terry J. Lundgren. All reviews posted anonymously by Macy's employees.