Lots of opportunity

Current Employee - General Manager- Restaurant  in  Miami, FL
Current Employee - General Manager- Restaurant in Miami, FL

I have been working at Macy's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The senior leadership over Foods Division are quality individuals with an expertise in both food and people. There are lots of opportunities for growth for a hard working, smart, and capable individual willing to really show and prove, and be a great leader.

Cons

You will work hard as a unit manager working your way up, and you will need to establish a quality of life outside work in order to not be overwhelmed. Also, Food Division is run by an AMAZING group of supportive people, but the retail side of Macy's is seemingly unsupportive of our efforts (in some ways), There isn't much effective communication about just how well Macy's Food is doing to the rest of the retail world, even management. Nor do they (Retail Macy's) understand how well General Managers in Food Division are compensated and how much we do in comparison to them. So we are often treated like the foster children of Macy's within the actual store you work in. At least on the level of a restaurant unit manager.

Work hard and surround yourself with quality people. Work with integrity and hire/train quality people and you will go far.