There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

Macy's is a stable work environment.

Current Employee - Selling Specialist in Nashville, TN
Current Employee - Selling Specialist in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

This is a STABLE job, with no fear of losing my job, which is a huge blessing in these unstable economic circumstances(2009). I have been blessed with great bosses and have some good friends here. Also, we are still exceeding plans and actually getting raises(yes they are small this year) whereas other companies are not giving raises and laying off people while we are still hiring.

Cons

They are bad about getting rid of incompetent people. It is irritating having to work with certain people who just flat out need to be fired but we have a long-term ''coaching'' process that has to occur first.

Nothing

4924 Other Employee Reviews for Macy's (View Most Recent)

Not so glamorous at Macy's, don't be fooled!

Former Employee - Group Sales Manager in Mays Landing, NJ
    Former Employee - Group Sales Manager in Mays Landing, NJ

I worked at Macy's

Pros

The best reasons to join Macy's East store are also the downsides. The discount is great, 20% off and employees are rewarded for exceeding sales and credit goals with 'Macy Money' (coupons that never expire and can be used on ANY merchandise). However, you MUST use your Macy's credit card (issued to you at time of hire) to receive any and all employee discounts. Of course, if you pay off the balance every month it would not be an issue.

Also, depending on what department you are in you could be living a dream or a nightmare. This is true for management and sales associates. For those selected to work in level 2 or level 2 commission areas, Macy's can be very enjoyable and even pay pretty well.

I was compensated decently, $38K for a level 1 group sales manager (department manager) but put in many hours and 8 weeks of training out of state because they did not have a training program in South NJ.

Cons

The discounts and 'Macy Money' paired with the Macy's credit card is actually a downside disguised as a benefit/reward. Macy's wants you to spend above your means and buy their 'aspiration brands' (Ed Hardy, Lacoste, Ralph Lauren etc.) and accrue interest on their credit cards. Not to mention that your reward for a job well done is basically a thinly veiled attempt to get you to dump your paychecks back into the store!

Again, depending on what department you are employed in you could find yourself loathing the job. I managed a 'level 1' department so my sales associates made minimum wage ($7.50, and you would think a huge department store would pay above the bare minimum) for a very grueling job. I worked many hours (salaried) but mainly because the turnover in sales associates was extremely high leaving me with huge gaps in floor coverage. Also, a manager works 9 hour days with a 1 hour break but it is frowned upon to just work the 9 hour day. As a department manager you are pressured into working 10 to 11 hour days by upper management. It's a very under-handed tactic to get the maximum amount of grunt work out their salaried employees.

Oh, and be prepared to be watched like a hawk by security. Most of Macy's store theft is committed by employees so the security team is more interested in apprehending employees than shoplifters.

I would advise management to re-think and restructure Macy's from the ground up. Poor employee retention at the lowest level (sales associates) affects customer satisfaction and management. Make your employees happy and profits will grow!

Merchandising Support Associate/Signing and Pricing

Current Employee - Merchandising Assistant/Signing and Pricing Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

As a merchandising associate, it is a pretty straight forward and easy job.Just do the tasks that the supervisor wants, in a timely and efficient way and your set. Clock in and out on time and you'll win the praise of the supervisor.
    Pricing and signing is straightforward as well. Be efficient and organized and you'll be good.

Cons

Most departments are understaffed. When someone calls out its the duty of the remaining associates to cover for that person. Although they are always looking for call-in associates, they rarely bring them in for at all and never use them in the right departments.

The pricing and signing team is extremely understaffed. Majority of floor managers and sales associates are not very knowledgeable when it comes to sales, clearance, and pricing, so don't expect a lot of help or understanding when things aren't don't correctly or finished.

HR did a bad job of restructuring departments when cutting hours. Pay is lower than expectations.

Inventory is never up to demand. Either there is no inventory check or they don't do it correctly, because you will find a gross amount of one set of merchandising and find another understocked. When shipments come in, they are erratic and useless.

Staff the floor better. Inventory needs more accuracy.

There are newer employer reviews for Macy's