There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

Macy's is a stable work environment.

Current Employee - Selling Specialist in Nashville, TN
Current Employee - Selling Specialist in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

This is a STABLE job, with no fear of losing my job, which is a huge blessing in these unstable economic circumstances(2009). I have been blessed with great bosses and have some good friends here. Also, we are still exceeding plans and actually getting raises(yes they are small this year) whereas other companies are not giving raises and laying off people while we are still hiring.

Cons

They are bad about getting rid of incompetent people. It is irritating having to work with certain people who just flat out need to be fired but we have a long-term ''coaching'' process that has to occur first.

Advice to Management

Nothing

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Macy's good place for students to work.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Eugene, OR
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Eugene, OR

I worked at Macy's

Pros

- Very flexible - Allowed for time off - They gave good recognition on jobs that were done well - The ability to earn commission off of sales of shoes, and fragrances is an added bonus - Weekly give aways to the employees who worked hard, and achieved their sales goals - Large give aways of up $1000 in the store - The manager made sure the employees were safe - Called to allow employees to have the option of not coming in to work because of black ice on the roads - 20% discount on all goods, plus discount with using the card

Cons

There really aren't too many downsides to working at Macy's West. Other than that you can expect to make minimum wage when you start, and it takes awhile to advance, but thats like most places. Another downside is having to stand all day, which can be a bother on your feet especially if your shoes are uncomfortable. Another downside is sometimes you get a customer who is extremely rude, and you have to be able to put on a happy face, and take being berated at for some obscure problem that you may or may not have been involved with.

Advice to Management

I would say for them to continue what they're doing. They did a good job of making sure the employees were safe and taken care of, and didn't demand them to do anything that was out of their job description.

2. Happy, but looking for more.

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

As a merchander I am able to come in early in the morning while my children are at school and be home when they get home from school. I don't have to work on weekends. The store discount comes in great. Promoting within the company is always a good reason to work for a company. They also work around my schedule.

Cons

Not enought hours to get your work load done. Right now they are downsizing the company . A number of people that you no longer has jobs. It's tough seeing people you learn to know now do have a job.

Advice to Management

Listen to your associates concerns. If you have good employees let them know that they are doing a good job. We all can learn from each other.