Macy's

There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

Movin' on up!

Current Employee - SSA in Roseville, CA
Current Employee - SSA in Roseville, CA

I have been working at Macy's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you are a good employee, then you will go far with the company (and with the company's help).

Cons

The joy of the holidays only happens when they're over.

Please always try to fill your hours, even over fill them, because there will always be call outs. If the business is just not there for your hours filled, then we can always send people home early (and there are always takers).

5272 Other Employee Reviews for Macy's (View Most Recent)

There was no magic... it was mostly tragic

Former Employee - Commission Shoe Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Commission Shoe Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Macy's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

When I first started working there I would have given it 2 or 3 stars because at the time things were decent. Full-time associates in shoe sales at that time were making 9% at that time, pt-timers a little bit less. There was plenty of competition but if you applied yourself you could make on avg $12-$18 an hr, w/ top sellers making more than that during good periods. I really enjoyed a lot of my coworkers, it was commissioned sales so you couldn't trust everyone, however we laughed a lot and had some fun. I also enjoyed meeting a lot of cool customers from all over the world who truly made my day go well.

Cons

The cons were poor management, for the most part the shoe associates were pretty independent & Macy's allowed us to have the power to handle a lot of customers' issues on our own & told us to side with them. However in those instances when you really needed a manager as a customer was demanding one they were often times nowhere to be found b/c every Tues & Thurs every manager in the store was in a mandatory 4 hr meeting during peak times. Furthermore in my dept, when certain managers were available they would run away or try to blow you off when you needed them. Also favoritism was widespread and at times nauseating. The major con was when our store cut our commission down to 7% because they hired shoe expeditors. Instead of sales associates going to the stockroom to get the customers' shoes we were banned, we could only scan their shoe while an expeditor grabbed it for us. When they told us about the new system management lied through their teeth. They told us it would be faster, we could help more customers, we'd make more money, blah blah blah. In reality they hired way more sales associates than ever & we made less money b/c everyone was always on the selling floor & for some reason they hired few expeditors, which slowed down service tremendously b/c 3 or 4 people couldn't handle the demand of 20+ sales associates ordering 2 or 3 shoes at once. Sometimes customers would wait up to ten min for one single shoe that a sales associate could have easily gone to get in one minute but if he dared to go into the stock room to give good customer service & assure a sale, a manager would often be waiting to yell at him. Also a really bad downside were sales days when clearance shoes were marked down to 75%, you'd have about 20 people in your face everywhere you turned the whole day asking for mates to $15-$25 shoes on average, and some of these people would still want other deals and hook-ups. So draining.

Get a clue, probably 98% of your staff could care less about making magic happen for customers when working there is a nightmare. No one wants to sit in a morning rally and cheer about how the store made hundreds of thousands and met their sales goals when the majority of your staff is making minimum wage. Pay your employees more & treat them with respect and maybe you can attract a more competent & professional staff.

Expectations are high...pay is minimum wage, regardless of your college degree

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Macy's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-If you open Macy credit cards, you are rewarded with Macy Money coupons, which can be used to pay for up to half of a purchase. These rock.
    -You can certainly scope out all of the deals, since you are there every day.
    -I happen to be blessed with an exceptionally kind and helpful manager, but not everyone in other departments seems to be as happy with their managers.
    -You get a week of PTO each year.
    -Depending on your area, you may get to walk around and haul merchandise, which I believe is tantamount to a workout!
    -Some coworkers are lovely people who will be lifelong friends.
    -Though it is stressful, you punch out and you can leave the stress at work. You do not have any work responsibilities outside of the hours you work. As a former teacher, I find this immensely refreshing!

Cons

-You truly get paid NOTHING.
    -And yet...the expectations are SKY HIGH. Every day, you have a sales goal--possibly up to $6,000 a day--and if you do not make your goal, your scorecard is affected.
    -As a result of these sales goals, employees get stressed about ringing enough and just sit at the register, ringing, while other hard-working employees bail out the fitting room and straighten merchandise.
    -This scenario leads to tons of gossip and in-house catfights amongst coworkers.
    -You have to greet and assist literally every customer who walks into your area, sometimes with many customers at once. It's called MAGIC selling...Meet and make a connection, Ask questions, Give options, Inspire to sell more, Celebrate the sale! This brand of MAGIC selling is actually very taxing on the employee, who (did i mention?) is getting paid 8 dollars an hour...
    -The store manager patrols the store to ensure that every employee is making *magic* selling happen on the floor, and if you are not with a customer (say if you are putting away fitting room or straightening your selling floor) then you are berated for not connecting with customers.
    -The merchandiser patrols the selling floor, complaining about how messy it is, if you don't have time to straighten due to all this MAGIC selling you are working. My particular merchant is extraordinarily unkind and speaks to me in the most demeaning, condescending manner imaginable.
    -You are interacting with the public nonstop, and some customers are wonderful and some are heinous.
    -Security cameras are everywhere monitoring every little transaction to check and see if you scan a coupon for a customer who forgets theirs...and if you refuse to scan the Macy card coupon, the customer will inevitably complain of your inflexibility to a manager who will tell you to scan the coupon, anyway.
    -You will work weekends--actually, EVERY weekend. You will work late hours. You will work early hours. You will work overnight. Your hours will vary like crazy.

Why don't you have sales goals for each department, rather than for individual employees? That way, employees can work together to divide the time spent putting away the fitting room and ringing sales. The culture is needlessly cutthroat when it could be collaborative. And your pay raises are offensively low...I get an almost perfect scorecard and am rewarded with a 10 cent raise? So I soar up to $8.10 an hour...what an incentive to work hard! If I wasn't a hard-worker by nature, I wouldn't do a blessed thing because it is so unacknowledged an unrewarded.

There are newer employer reviews for Macy's