Movin' on up!

Current Employee - SSA  in  Roseville, CA
Current Employee - SSA in Roseville, CA

I have been working at Macy's full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you are a good employee, then you will go far with the company (and with the company's help).

Cons

The joy of the holidays only happens when they're over.

Please always try to fill your hours, even over fill them, because there will always be call outs. If the business is just not there for your hours filled, then we can always send people home early (and there are always takers).

Other Reviews for Macy's

Unhappy and Unsatisfaction: Guaranteed!

Former Employee - Macys Sales Associate  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Macys Sales Associate in San Jose, CA

I worked at Macy's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people to work with in a fast paced environment during the sales and holiday season.
    You meet some great people and ... then some not so great people

Cons

They don't train anyone enough in this place, not associates, not managers and not even their support assocciates. They have all kinds of loopholes to keep things under wrap so that managers keep their jobs and this makes it all the more difficult to work here. Their HR dept is corrupt and inneffective, a lot of their managers are needed to go back into training--as sales associates!
    There were unresolved issues and managers were innappropriate a lot, yet they always kept their jobs and positions. They expect too much of other specific associates and only acknowledged the associates that kissed up to the managers. I wouldn't recommend this job to my worst enemy, this company is a joke and a disappointment. Not enough back up, the managers make associates look incompetent and stupid in front of customers. Over the years, their integrity and mission have truly taken a turn for the worse. Every dept was always understaffed at closing and yet they expected so much more than was possible. I cannot stress it enough, if you are looking to work retail; GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!!! this job is a nightmare and you get so much older the longer you are there. I feel bad for anyone working there because of how hostile the environment is.
    Macy's, i will never ever go back to you!
     This job is not worth the time, effort or the stress you put into it.

Pay more attention to the training programs and how effective they really are. Have a more "do-able" goal for credit cards as well as sales and realize that "score cards" are only a way for people to sit at the register ringing up transactions and doing nothing else; if this is the way you want to keep in business then hire the "recovery" team you used to have on the west coast with the same number of members ALL YEAR LONG!!!! Listen to the Surveys you have your employees fill out every year to keep them happy. Hang onto every word on those completed surveys. I give you Kudos on hiring an oustanding corporate team to pay the visits; they pay attention to detail and are compassionate with the understaffed departments. All i ask is that you change around the rules a bit and make this a more suitable and appropriate environment. You train us to follow rules yet you have managers bend them to meet customer's needs, so why not bend the rules for associates alike?

Macy's is terrible

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Macy's part-time for more than a year

Pros

If you happen to be working in one of the commission areas and also have no heart or life then you can make decent money.

The employee discount is pretty decent.

Relatively decent people are often talked into working at Macy's as a result of the blatant lies management and corporate will tell you. A few of my coworkers were great people.

Cons

Macy's is a soulless corporation owned by greedy pigs and managed by idiots. They only care about making as much money as humanly possible and opening credit cards. During my time on the selling floor, I was regularly harassed to open up to three credit cards per household - one for each adult and a joint account for husbands and wives... cards for anyone over 18 - even though attempting to open a card more than once is actually damaging to a person's credit. Also, the Macy's cards have an interest rate of 24% which is horrendous. Management systematically ignores safety regulations. Despite releasing a monthly "safety sheet", I would often see blatant disregard for the topic of the month taking place that very day. They do not care about their employees. Macy's is big on promoting the idea that you can make your own schedule, but the entire system is done on the computer. Employees are told to list days they require off and usually end up scheduled during those times any way. I am a student and was regularly scheduled during class - even finals - and, when I would discuss this with my manager, I was told to either come to work or lose an attendance point. I even spoke to HR a number of times to see if we could resolve this issue in a reasonable way and was told the same thing and labeled a problem employee. You lose two attendance points for weekends and one attendance points for week days. They will fire you if you lose too many points no matter how justified your reason for calling off. I lost a number of attendance points after being in the hospital and denied the right to work for medical reasons for three days despite the fact that I provided proof from the hospital and my personal doctor. Also, they are constantly understaffed in all backing positions. In women's shoes up to ten selling associates would be scheduled and only one or two stock people or expeditors would be scheduled. They do this in an attempt to make money, but they actually miss out on business this way. There's far too much work behind the scenes for two people to handle, leading to unrest among employees and annoyance for customers forced to wait longer. They don't care about their customers at all. I once saw a woman faint in the morning meeting and two managers propped her up and told the leading manager to continue talking. I was so enraged by this disregard for an employees health and well being that a coworker had to take me away from the meeting to prevent a scene. I hated working for Macy's, will never shop there again, and will encourage everyone I meet to boycott the company forever. This is really only the tip of the ice burg. Seriously reconsider putting in an application at Macy's. They will suck the joy for life right out of you and smile while they do it.

Consider promoting people who are intelligent, thoughtful, and successful employees rather than whoever is more willing to be a corporate puppet. On the rare occasions I found myself desperate enough to actually reach out to a manger, they were unprofessional, unprepared, and at a loss for how the store even works. I felt like I was reporting to the worst Macy's had to offer rather than the best.

There are newer employer reviews for Macy's.

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!