There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

Macy's is good for those who are looking to find employment

Current Employee - Recovery Team Associate in Honolulu, HI
Current Employee - Recovery Team Associate in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay,good benefits,rounded culture and various ethnics of employees.Macy's is a good company to work for because they give back to charities which is a value of my own.Macy's tries to accommodate what you can do if the original position you were hired for isn't what you can handle.

Cons

Better management,better set hours for employees,there should be a call in policy in case a worker can't make it or has conflicts prior to the shift which was picked up.If you're not looking for a steady job and just temporary or don't really need to work Macy's is a good place to start.Be careful with the hours,it can get crazy!

Other Employee Reviews for Macy's

1. The company has seen a decline in its focus on customer service .

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Torrance, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company did provide flexibility and benefits. Usually the people I worked with are great and made good friends.

Cons

Retail inherently has variable hours that is not great for those with family. Dealing with customers is challenging at times.

Advice to Management

Look for ways to reward those who show promise for promotion and are eager to be successful

2. Poor hours, poor opportunities for advancement, and poor benefits at Macy's.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Macy's is a charitable company, which is something I can certainly admire. Also, managers tend to be more laid back, and I found the managers were less likely to micromanage their employees than any other company I've ever worked for.

Cons

The hours are very poor for most employees. There's a lot of on-call employees who are lucky to get any hours at all, and even as a part-time manager I struggled to get hours. I got as little as 14 hours a week... as a manager! Macy's also doesn't offer insurance to it's on-call and part-time employees, which make up the majority of their workforce. Additionally, opportunities for growth and advancement are poor.

Advice to Management

The on-call hours don't work for most employees. People only take those on-call jobs because it's the best they can hope for in our hopeless economy. But it sucks when managers know they have good employees, and yet can't offer them the hours they need to survive and pay their bills. I was a top performer at Macy's but I never felt like I was cared for. I want to feel like I'm important as a person, including who I am outside of work. I didn't feel that way at Macy's, and therefore, you lost me to one of your competitors. Macy's needs to spend more time treating their employees right and gaining their loyalty.