Macy's

There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

great place to work

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Birmingham, AL
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Macy's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

good hours of business yo be open.

Cons

there isnt any cons to macys.

5116 Other Employee Reviews for Macy's (View Most Recent)

HR needs to get it together

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Macy's part-time

Pros

Helpful coworkers, employee discount, wide selection.

Cons

Ridiculously high sales quotas, training is minimal, people have been known to steal others' sales, and management in HR has no idea what they're doing.

So I worked in the shoe department for 6 months. It was my first job, and it was one of the commission-based positions. Sales is hard enough, especially if you're as inexperienced as I had been. When I first started, I was told the manager of that department was on maternity leave and wouldn't be back for a few months. So they stuck the manager from the Children's department there temporarily. This lady was rude and had no idea about shoes. She would go over my score card and insult me, telling me sales isn't for me (she said this to everyone who didn't make 100%. My score was still pretty high, but not up to her standards I guess). Instead of encouraging improvement, she would insult you to the point you literally wanted to quit and walk out on the spot. When asked if I was making contact with customers, I told her I was but not everyone comes to buy. Some people are just browsing. She then had the nerve to tell me that that's "my fault" because if I were a better salesperson, every single person would leave with something. Um, okay?

Apart from that, my first day of work, I was literally thrown onto the sales floor having not a single clue what I was doing. Their idea of "training" is to stick you on a computer for 8 hours and not even go over anything with you on-the-job. If it hadn't been for helpful employees, I would have died. But due to the lack of training, even 6 months into the job, I still had issues I'd never been trained on.

To top it off, there's three flights of stairs to go up and down....sometimes carrying multiple boxes. The Macy's I worked at was extremely messy and disorganized, and they never turned on the A/C, so it was an extremely stuffy and uncomfortable work environment.

Then there's the issue of hours. You have to go online on their special website to find hours. There's full-time, part-time, then flex. I was flex. Respectively, full-time gets first-choice of hours, then part-time, then flex is left to fight over whatever's left....like throwing one slab of meat to starving wolves and watching them scramble for it. I was lucky to get 4 hrs a week. Usually there'd be nothing available and you'd literally have to check every hour until someone gave up their shift due to sickness or whatever. I was barely making enough money for gas.

Then during the holidays, I was specifically told by the clueless manager that more hours would open up. Instead, they hired literally at least twelve more people in our department alone and hired them as full-time or part-time. Therefore these newbies (that I had been there much longer than) started getting first-choice of hours over me. Then it got to the point where I'd work once every two weeks. Not a real job at all. I worked so seldom that when I did come in, I'd have new people asking me if I'M new.

Then there's the whole issue of them expecting you to open Macy's credit constantly by being pushing and annoying (27% rate, no thanks) and expect you to approach every customer repeatedly, even the ones who don't want help and are just browsing.

Back to HR, I'd get called into the executive offices multiple times MONTHS into my employment because they'd "forgotten" to have me take an online course or two that should have been completed months before. Really?

Finally, I got a job offer from Unleashed by Petco, which is right up my alley as I'm an animal lover. So I put in my 2-weeks notice....a simple little form asking when my last day of work would be and asking me to rate each aspect of their company. Should've been quick and easy, right? Wrong!! Actually, it took me a three whole hours to turn it in because the lady upstairs had NO CLUE what she was doing and kept sending me back and forth (even other managers were asking why they were sending me to them). Finally fed up, I told the lady I'd been there for three hours and I was leaving. She gave me permission to go.

My last two weeks there, I logged onto their website to pick up some last-minute hours before starting my new job, but their website locked me out of picking up any hours. To top off everything, my 2-weeks period has now ended and yet I still have not received my paycheck from the last day of work.

My advice? Don't work here unless you're a student who is comfortable working the bare minimum.

Get more organized, improve the training (I was literally trained by other coworkers only helping me because I NEEDED it since I was with a customer).

Gained my most useful experience here

Former Employee - Fit Specialist in Manhattan Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Fit Specialist in Manhattan Beach, CA

I worked at Macy's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

HUGE learning experience, Weekly pay nice discount.

Cons

inconsistant scheduling, Hounded to hound customers about Macy's credit card.

Train employees more in the art of offering the Macy's Credit Card. Offering credit is not an easy task in a bad economy, Especially when most of the customers already have cards.

There are newer employer reviews for Macy's