There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

"Good Management Experience but Retail is not for me"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Hayward, CA
Former Employee - Sales Manager in Hayward, CA

I worked at Macy's full-time

Pros

-Room for career advancement for ambitious, successful managers
-Compensation and benefits are fair and raises/bonuses are performance based
-Autonomous work environment allows you to develop your personal management style
-Friendly, diverse and open work environment

Cons

-Work life balance in retail management is tough and doesn't get better when looking for career advancement
-Little follow through and feedback from upper management on the practices that are supposed to grow the company
-"Drama" and "gossip"
-pushed to open credit accounts with many customers who probably can't afford it and shouldn't be using credit

Advice to Management

-Spend more time teaching and following up on company directives that are designed to grow the business and the quality of managers/employees
-Upgrade the database system so that Sales Managers can easily find the information needed to affect their business
-drop the "cheesy" slogans and give associates honest and direct feedback

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

They wouldn't give me any hours because I did not work on Black Friday

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy to get hired, fun environment if you like working with people. Very flexible shifts make it easy to work here as a part time second job type of situation. Training was good, and management was friendly, at least at the North Park Mall location where I worked.

Cons

Very little support during your first shifts on the sales floor during the Christmas shopping season. Several times, I had issues that I did not yet know how to handle, and when I would look around for a senior associate to ask questions of, there was often no one to be found. Also, seniors took over the sales that I initiated! By that, I mean, I was showing an expensive watch to a gentleman, and as he was handing it to me to make the purchase, suddenly the lady I was working with, who was a full time employee, decided to "help me", meaning that she rang up the sale under her employee number and got the credit for it. I was told that I'd be in Watches, but if the regular employees wanted to do watches, they would send me to scarves or purses or some area that would not likely have many purchases for Christmas.

Advice to Management

Provide more assistance to new hires during their first 20 hours as a sales associate. If you assign an associate to a particular area, make sure that the seasoned employees don't get to over-ride your decision!

Expectations are high...pay is minimum wage, regardless of your college degree

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-If you open Macy credit cards, you are rewarded with Macy Money coupons, which can be used to pay for up to half of a purchase. These rock.
    -You can certainly scope out all of the deals, since you are there every day.
    -I happen to be blessed with an exceptionally kind and helpful manager, but not everyone in other departments seems to be as happy with their managers.
    -You get a week of PTO each year.
    -Depending on your area, you may get to walk around and haul merchandise, which I believe is tantamount to a workout!
    -Some coworkers are lovely people who will be lifelong friends.
    -Though it is stressful, you punch out and you can leave the stress at work. You do not have any work responsibilities outside of the hours you work. As a former teacher, I find this immensely refreshing!

Cons

-You truly get paid NOTHING.
    -And yet...the expectations are SKY HIGH. Every day, you have a sales goal--possibly up to $6,000 a day--and if you do not make your goal, your scorecard is affected.
    -As a result of these sales goals, employees get stressed about ringing enough and just sit at the register, ringing, while other hard-working employees bail out the fitting room and straighten merchandise.
    -This scenario leads to tons of gossip and in-house catfights amongst coworkers.
    -You have to greet and assist literally every customer who walks into your area, sometimes with many customers at once. It's called MAGIC selling...Meet and make a connection, Ask questions, Give options, Inspire to sell more, Celebrate the sale! This brand of MAGIC selling is actually very taxing on the employee, who (did i mention?) is getting paid 8 dollars an hour...
    -The store manager patrols the store to ensure that every employee is making *magic* selling happen on the floor, and if you are not with a customer (say if you are putting away fitting room or straightening your selling floor) then you are berated for not connecting with customers.
    -The merchandiser patrols the selling floor, complaining about how messy it is, if you don't have time to straighten due to all this MAGIC selling you are working. My particular merchant is extraordinarily unkind and speaks to me in the most demeaning, condescending manner imaginable.
    -You are interacting with the public nonstop, and some customers are wonderful and some are heinous.
    -Security cameras are everywhere monitoring every little transaction to check and see if you scan a coupon for a customer who forgets theirs...and if you refuse to scan the Macy card coupon, the customer will inevitably complain of your inflexibility to a manager who will tell you to scan the coupon, anyway.
    -You will work weekends--actually, EVERY weekend. You will work late hours. You will work early hours. You will work overnight. Your hours will vary like crazy.

Advice to Management

Why don't you have sales goals for each department, rather than for individual employees? That way, employees can work together to divide the time spent putting away the fitting room and ringing sales. The culture is needlessly cutthroat when it could be collaborative. And your pay raises are offensively low...I get an almost perfect scorecard and am rewarded with a 10 cent raise? So I soar up to $8.10 an hour...what an incentive to work hard! If I wasn't a hard-worker by nature, I wouldn't do a blessed thing because it is so unacknowledged an unrewarded.