Macy's

www.macysinc.com
  www.macysinc.com
There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

"Good Management Experience but Retail is not for me"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Hayward, CA
Former Employee - Sales Manager in Hayward, CA

I worked at Macy's full-time

Pros

-Room for career advancement for ambitious, successful managers
-Compensation and benefits are fair and raises/bonuses are performance based
-Autonomous work environment allows you to develop your personal management style
-Friendly, diverse and open work environment

Cons

-Work life balance in retail management is tough and doesn't get better when looking for career advancement
-Little follow through and feedback from upper management on the practices that are supposed to grow the company
-"Drama" and "gossip"
-pushed to open credit accounts with many customers who probably can't afford it and shouldn't be using credit

-Spend more time teaching and following up on company directives that are designed to grow the business and the quality of managers/employees
-Upgrade the database system so that Sales Managers can easily find the information needed to affect their business
-drop the "cheesy" slogans and give associates honest and direct feedback

5272 Other Employee Reviews for Macy's (View Most Recent)

They wouldn't give me any hours because I did not work on Black Friday

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at Macy's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy to get hired, fun environment if you like working with people. Very flexible shifts make it easy to work here as a part time second job type of situation. Training was good, and management was friendly, at least at the North Park Mall location where I worked.

Cons

Very little support during your first shifts on the sales floor during the Christmas shopping season. Several times, I had issues that I did not yet know how to handle, and when I would look around for a senior associate to ask questions of, there was often no one to be found. Also, seniors took over the sales that I initiated! By that, I mean, I was showing an expensive watch to a gentleman, and as he was handing it to me to make the purchase, suddenly the lady I was working with, who was a full time employee, decided to "help me", meaning that she rang up the sale under her employee number and got the credit for it. I was told that I'd be in Watches, but if the regular employees wanted to do watches, they would send me to scarves or purses or some area that would not likely have many purchases for Christmas.

Provide more assistance to new hires during their first 20 hours as a sales associate. If you assign an associate to a particular area, make sure that the seasoned employees don't get to over-ride your decision!

Great group of teamates to work with

Current Employee - Loss Prevention Detective in DFW, TX
    Current Employee - Loss Prevention Detective in DFW, TX

I have been working at Macy's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

All four of the LP Detectives get along great and have had great success lately

Cons

Late nights, Argueing with Management over policy after shhowing and calmly explaing does not work

Learn at least the general aspects of our job

There are newer employer reviews for Macy's