Macy's

There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

Okay

Current Employee - Star Selling Associate in Roseville, MN
Current Employee - Star Selling Associate in Roseville, MN

I have been working at Macy's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexibility in the schedule. Fun around the holidays. No two days are the same.

Cons

No sick days or pto.

The attendance policy is unforgiving and hard to maintain.

5288 Other Employee Reviews for Macy's (View Most Recent)

They wouldn't give me any hours because I did not work on Black Friday

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at Macy's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy to get hired, fun environment if you like working with people. Very flexible shifts make it easy to work here as a part time second job type of situation. Training was good, and management was friendly, at least at the North Park Mall location where I worked.

Cons

Very little support during your first shifts on the sales floor during the Christmas shopping season. Several times, I had issues that I did not yet know how to handle, and when I would look around for a senior associate to ask questions of, there was often no one to be found. Also, seniors took over the sales that I initiated! By that, I mean, I was showing an expensive watch to a gentleman, and as he was handing it to me to make the purchase, suddenly the lady I was working with, who was a full time employee, decided to "help me", meaning that she rang up the sale under her employee number and got the credit for it. I was told that I'd be in Watches, but if the regular employees wanted to do watches, they would send me to scarves or purses or some area that would not likely have many purchases for Christmas.

Provide more assistance to new hires during their first 20 hours as a sales associate. If you assign an associate to a particular area, make sure that the seasoned employees don't get to over-ride your decision!

Good people, But Just not Worth it

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Macy's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I like the people and it is challenging to coach and groom associates. Solid people and structured hiring to find decent people. (Only hire for yourself, not other managers Please!) Big focus on credit and the coaching binder. If you are in a good Store there are opportunities, if you are in a small store, be ready to settle

Cons

I did not sign up to do book reports each week. I have 35 associates and the expectation is that I will spend time doing activities with them each week and then go and write reports on what I have done. All this in addition to regular job duties....while being coached on expectations by learning and development people who had never been in your shoes.

PAY ME, I manage 10M in sales, my salary is less than a half percent of the sales that I am responsible for.

Expectations are set a year in advance. They can plan to do high growth in vendors and when something outside of your control goes wrong you are still responsible for those results which drive your reviews and determine your raises. Why do I get penalized when I am out trending last year but not making plan because someone in the district office had lofty expectations for a vendor and it didnt turn out?

Nothing will ever be enough, there is no light at the end of the tunnel. You can be #1 and people will constantly ask you what you can do to squeeze that last drop of productivity, credit app or sale out of a high performing associate. I understand the process but nothing is ever good enough. We wonder why people get burnt out and this is the reason. Competition within the store is great but take a break every now and then to focus on what is going right, it will help morale.

There are newer employer reviews for Macy's