Merchandising Support Associate/Signing and Pricing

Current Employee - Merchandising Assistant/Signing and Pricing Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

As a merchandising associate, it is a pretty straight forward and easy job.Just do the tasks that the supervisor wants, in a timely and efficient way and your set. Clock in and out on time and you'll win the praise of the supervisor.
Pricing and signing is straightforward as well. Be efficient and organized and you'll be good.

Cons

Most departments are understaffed. When someone calls out its the duty of the remaining associates to cover for that person. Although they are always looking for call-in associates, they rarely bring them in for at all and never use them in the right departments.

The pricing and signing team is extremely understaffed. Majority of floor managers and sales associates are not very knowledgeable when it comes to sales, clearance, and pricing, so don't expect a lot of help or understanding when things aren't don't correctly or finished.

HR did a bad job of restructuring departments when cutting hours. Pay is lower than expectations.

Inventory is never up to demand. Either there is no inventory check or they don't do it correctly, because you will find a gross amount of one set of merchandising and find another understocked. When shipments come in, they are erratic and useless.

Advice to Management

Staff the floor better. Inventory needs more accuracy.

reviews filtered by
  1. Overall a good place to work with good people

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Saint Cloud, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Saint Cloud, MN

I worked at Macy's

Pros

Good people to work with. Commissioned sales was competitive, but not to the point of people being uniwlling to help others. Management does a good job of keeping associates up to date on what is happening in the store. They also stay on you about promoting certain products and brands.

Cons

I felt as though I was mislead about the true earnings potential during the interview process. Scheduling flexibility was not as easy as I would have hoped. This was my first experience working in retail and it was like a revolving door of people. I was there for less than a year and there was only one person who was still in my department when I left. Everyone else had left.

Advice to Management

Make sure the talent rises to the top and not just due to seniority.

2. Macy's is a stable work environment.

Current Employee - Selling Specialist in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Selling Specialist in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

This is a STABLE job, with no fear of losing my job, which is a huge blessing in these unstable economic circumstances(2009). I have been blessed with great bosses and have some good friends here. Also, we are still exceeding plans and actually getting raises(yes they are small this year) whereas other companies are not giving raises and laying off people while we are still hiring.

Cons

They are bad about getting rid of incompetent people. It is irritating having to work with certain people who just flat out need to be fired but we have a long-term ''coaching'' process that has to occur first.

Advice to Management

Nothing