There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

Macy's is a strong department store brand but consolidations will continue

Former Employee - Merchandise Planner in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Merchandise Planner in Seattle, WA

I worked at Macy's

Pros

Strong brands in the marketplace, private labels as well as national brands. They invest in their stores and merchandise standards are high. Macy's is constantly evolving their systems and information technology. Diverse workplace with smart, driven people. Macy's has strong structured training program, opportunity to improve management ability as well as learn the systems and develop technical skills.

Cons

Consolidations will continue and not much job security. Many layers of management and it is difficult to get decisions from management. Very political environment. They seem to value younger attractive workers and do not respect or value people who are not in the Macy's image.

National Macys branding does not align with regional initiatives.

reviews filtered by
  1. Macy's is a decent place to work

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bloomington, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

The people at Macy's, in general, are great. As far as retail goes, I feel management is very fair and the job is decent. Overall, the customers are fun to deal with, and our merchandise is fun to sell (especially in the home store). Unlike other retail positions, you don't feel overwhelmed with your job, which makes it much more enjoyable to go to work. Things, in general, are pretty organized, whereas I felt like things were very disorganized in my other retail positions. If you can take the hours, Macy's is a good place to work if you're looking for a short-term retail job.

Cons

The hours are grueling, but that's nothing you won't find at any retail job. Management at the store level is the key, and most of them seem to be knowledgeable. However, management at the corporate level is ridiculous. They make key decisions about stores without ever actually setting a foot in them. And if you do have the misfortune of getting stuck with a bad manager (particularly when it comes to HR), it can really make your time there difficult. The pay isn't great, but it is competitive with other retail chains. As I said, the hours are the most difficult part, especially around the holidays when the store is open from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.

I would tell them to visit a store every once in awhile before making ludicrous decisions that actually harm the store, and focus on the big picture rather than insignificant things that mean nothing to the bottom line.

2. good place to work

Current Employee - Assistant Buyer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Assistant Buyer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

Great career, fun people, advancement opportunities

Cons

hours limitations can be stressful

n/a