There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

A Good part-Time Holiday Gig

Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Lafayette, LA
Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Lafayette, LA

I worked at Macy's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Mostly flexible hours, weekly paychecks, employee discount, paid training hours, most people are pleasant to work with

Cons

Dress code- unless you wear all black all the time, you'll have to buy some new clothes which consumes some of your 1st weeks pay.
Pay is barely over minimum wage for non-commissioned employees.

Increase non-commissioned pay for people who need jobs but have to adhere to your nice, albeit gothic dress code.

4934 Other Employee Reviews for Macy's (View Most Recent)

I will quicker sell my soul than work there again.

Former Employee - Support Associate in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Support Associate in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Macy's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

* Discount to workers for certain cell phone carriers
    * Employee discount on merchandise

Cons

* Low pay for physically strenuous work (example: carrying heavy boxes of merchandise up stairs because the freight elevator is not working which happens frequently, being asked to lift heavy fixtures from one part of the store to another, pushing large amounts of merchandise without assistance.)
    * Given very few hours a week
    * Schedule changes without informing you until you show up for work
    * Unsafe stock room conditions (exposed wires, we thought there was no electricity flowing through any of them until my co-worker accidentally stepped on one) Stock rooms are also dirty and cleaning staff is not allowed to enter out of fear they will steal so stock associates are forced to clean the stock room even though that's not in their job description.
    * Disrespectful and unprofessional management
    * Workers treated like children regardless of age
    * If you develop a relationship (beyond a strictly professional one) with a manager you receive more work hours
    * Asked to finish things during lunch when skipping lunch is against company policy
    * Practically have to beg for a day off to see the doctor
    * Low morale in the workplace. Many of the people I spoke to hated their job and management. You will eventually hate yourself for working their.

Stop treating non-management employees like garbage and you'll see an increase in morale and better productivity.

No loyalty or appreciation

Former Employee - Sales Support in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Support in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Macy's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly co-workers. A store discount.

Cons

No loyalty to seasonal staff. (Even the seasonal staff that has worked multiple Christmas seasons.) No communication between too many managers. Executive office staff has no idea what the sales floor managers are doing. The interview process is very unprofessional.

Be professional. Appreciate the hard work everyone does, even seasonal help. If you have a manager tell an employee "welcome... you are now permanent" - mean it. If you interview a candidate for a position, don't tell them "I have 10 more interviews" over the next week and then send that same candidate a standard e-mail in less than two days saying thanks but no thanks. Don't be so cold.

There are newer employer reviews for Macy's