Fabulous Fun in Fashion

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Well organized large company, vibrant work arena, Seasonal participation makes the season bright, moderately flexible schedule and the ability to manipulate the schedule. Training is exciting and positive, coaching is provided. Lots of encouragement from all managers outside of my own, see coaching details in Cons area. Policy is written and available to every employee. Computer access to schedule and other business documents. Direct deposit, charitable contributions encouraged, dinners hosted by each department with proceeds going to our various charities. Macy's is very devoted to their charities.

Cons

Pay is really quite low, however, with longevity one will experience raises and benefits. Flexible scheduling is limited, all associates must be available for all open hours on weekends and key days. This works out to be three out of four weekends worked per month if you know the right tricks, the ins and outs of the scheduling system. Otherwise, you simply work every weekend. Regarding training, the classes are motivational and really geared me up. My experience on the floor when I arrived at my first day on the sales floor was much different than promised. My training associate said, "Well, there ya go," and I was left alone. I had to ask for the time promised to observe and get my feet wet. I think I saw three or four transactions and was left again. I did survive but I have heard this story from every associate I have asked. This would be a great opportunity for improvement for Macy's. Perhaps it was just that location. Please read my story with a positive outlook. Maybe yo can be the one to create change! Regarding coaching, this is another opportunity for improvement. It is not the positive reinforcement I thought it was going to be. Rather, it is very depressing and frightening because goals are always set for 10% higher than last year's sales. If the store is down as a whole, I don't understand how to make the numbers. Again, there are lots of people who do. I just prefer to be customer oriented rather than numbers oriented. Territorial is a good description for sales persons that have been employed a length of time. It can be difficult to get your numbers in this type of arena.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

It wasn't bad, but not great either

Former Employee - Ladies Commisioned Shoes in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Ladies Commisioned Shoes in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Worked in Shoe department so commission was nice. Men's shoes 3% commission + base pay If you want to switch shifts, it's all done online. Good online site with access to many resources

Cons

Women's shoe had an hourly draw which was pretty ridiculous to meet most of the time in the area that I worked. Dead end job pretty much

Advice to Management

Change the commission structure. Not much else to say, it's a huge retail corporation.

2. Basic sales with unreliable managers

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

Customers aren't bad, commission pay is great around holidays, most employees are friendly,

Cons

Managers don't care, they don't care about their schedules, your problems, coaching you, or doing anything for you. Credit cards are all they care about.

Advice to Management

Care