Fabulous Fun in Fashion

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Well organized large company, vibrant work arena, Seasonal participation makes the season bright, moderately flexible schedule and the ability to manipulate the schedule. Training is exciting and positive, coaching is provided. Lots of encouragement from all managers outside of my own, see coaching details in Cons area. Policy is written and available to every employee. Computer access to schedule and other business documents. Direct deposit, charitable contributions encouraged, dinners hosted by each department with proceeds going to our various charities. Macy's is very devoted to their charities.

Cons

Pay is really quite low, however, with longevity one will experience raises and benefits. Flexible scheduling is limited, all associates must be available for all open hours on weekends and key days. This works out to be three out of four weekends worked per month if you know the right tricks, the ins and outs of the scheduling system. Otherwise, you simply work every weekend.

Regarding training, the classes are motivational and really geared me up. My experience on the floor when I arrived at my first day on the sales floor was much different than promised. My training associate said, "Well, there ya go," and I was left alone. I had to ask for the time promised to observe and get my feet wet. I think I saw three or four transactions and was left again. I did survive but I have heard this story from every associate I have asked. This would be a great opportunity for improvement for Macy's. Perhaps it was just that location. Please read my story with a positive outlook. Maybe yo can be the one to create change!

Regarding coaching, this is another opportunity for improvement. It is not the positive reinforcement I thought it was going to be. Rather, it is very depressing and frightening because goals are always set for 10% higher than last year's sales. If the store is down as a whole, I don't understand how to make the numbers. Again, there are lots of people who do. I just prefer to be customer oriented rather than numbers oriented.

Territorial is a good description for sales persons that have been employed a length of time. It can be difficult to get your numbers in this type of arena.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. It was a prettly good job yo

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Manager was a pretty good guy yo

Cons

Salary was not that great yo yo

Advice to Management

Mo money

Bad work environment with no respect

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get a lot of down time for most of the year, and you SOMETIMES come across nice customers to talk to.

Cons

The people here do not train you! They just give you a computer test, then send you on the sales floor with no knowledge of the products. And if you make a mistake, due to improper training, then they get on your case. And the Loss Prevention doesn't care about you. They will use unethical interrogation techniques for their benefit! They think they are above the law, and they will ignore the truth to make themselves look good.

Advice to Management

Train your employees and show some respect towards them!